Well - done

On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:31:48 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Toronto found some other landfill ~ 2010 after about 10 - 12 years of trucking it to Michigan.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/toronto-garbage-no-longer-shipped-to-michigan-1.913880
" At the height of the deal, 142 trucks a day were making the trip, hauling an estimated 10,000 tons of garbage daily. "
John T.
--- ---
On 02/10/2019 11:18 AM, snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.ca wrote:

I had to check the map to refresh my memory. I've set up molding systems in Toronto, Mississagua, and Guelph but didn't remember Toronto being anywhere in the vicinity of Michigan. I guess it is, sort of. I've went across that part of Ontario to get from NY to Port Huron so I guess it would work. Even London is about 3/4 of the way to Michigan.

It's not particularly close - about 300Km from Toronto to Port Huron - cannot have been a cheap proposition but it made Verspeeten a lot of money - - -and kept a lot of truckers employed.
On 02/11/2019 03:01 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

I'm sure. Unless my mental math is way off you could do two round trips a day even with the 14 hour rule. That's assuming a drop and hook operation so you're not sitting in seagull city for a few hours waiting to unload.
That would drive me crazy. I used to get antsy if I did a couple of back to back runs from LA to Seattle. The only thing worse is driving a tractor. Focus on that tree, hope you don't fall asleep before you get there, make a u-turn and find another tree to aim at. I didn't have one of those fancy climate controlled cabs with an entertainment center either, just an elderly Minneapolis-Moline.

For me it was a 540 Cockshutt and a Massey Harris 44. The roar of the massey wasn't bad, but the whine of that darn 540 was totally hypnotic - it would put you to sleep half way across the feild - particularly with the "kerchunk- kerchunk" of the old New Holland baler imposed over it

Back in the Children's Band radio days I got to know some of the truckers running up and down I-95. You talked to the same guys at the same place at the same time almost every night. If they weren't there they had trouble. It was worse than driving a bus but most of them seemed to like it. I rescued one of the guys one night, got him to a phone and back to his truck. It was like pulling the thorn out of the lion's paw. Suddenly I was in the gang. It certainly made driving to Florida a lot faster.

I bounced around the east coast a few times when dispatch was repositioning me for a load back west. As far as I could tell it sucked. Screw around most of the afternoon getting a load, drive five or six hours at night to go 300 miles, spend the morning getting unloaded and put up with crappy truck stops in between.
My idea of a worthwhile run was LA to Dalton and back or even LA to Denver. You usually got to drive during the day, sleep at night, and live like a human. Sometimes LA to Dalton was a little intense and you'd catch about 5 hours of sleep in Amarillo, but then you'd go to Adairsville and hang around for a day or two.
I only got to Florida a couple of times and the last was a disaster. I always carried a bike and I went out for a ride. Wrecked the bike, broke a few ribs, and my collar bone in two places but I'd be damned if I'd go to an ER in Jacksonville knowing they wouldn't let me back in the truck. Lots of ibuprofen but I got it back to Montana. I was supposed to go on to Seattle but I called my dispatcher and told her I was done when I got to town. Broken ribs are the gift that keeps on giving for about six months.

Kid brother did LDT for many years -Atlanta to Fairbanks, Vancouver to Brownsville, Florida to Edmonton,Toronto to San Diego, in and out of New Jersey from Winterpeg, up and down the west coast, New York to LA, just about any run you could imagine, as well as a season on the ice. He HATED New Jersey.
For several years he team drove with his wife, and on west coast runs he always had the Kayaks strapped to the back of the sleeper. He told dispatch he didn't care if he had a 1 week layover in Cali or Oregon - he'd wait for a GOOD load out and ENJOY some down time. One year he was "home" in Saskatchewan for a total of EIGHT DAYS.
On 02/12/2019 12:41 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

There is a lot to hate in NJ.

With the bicycle I never minded downtime, particularly California downtime in the winter. I'd get home every now and then but that had it's drawbacks. About the only thing going out of town was liner board from the pulp mill. It didn't pay but it got you back into action. Canada was the same. I'd bring furniture in but we couldn't run between two points in Canada so you took whatever you got that was going back to the States.
Furniture and carpets were what really made money for the company. Shippers knew that so you'd bring good paying loads into Denver and take dog food out.
It was fun for a while. I wanted to drive a truck when I was a kid so I took a little break from software in the '90s to do it. No way would I have wanted to look at the rest of my life and think this is how it's going to be. After a couple of years I'd head for AZ in November and go back to work in the spring.
On 2/8/2019 7:08 PM, Frank wrote:

When our town was starting to recycle they asked for people that wanted to be on the committee to implement it. Since I had experience from our particular industry I volunteered. Of course some of the people were real greenies that wanted to save the planet.
Once woman went off on a rant about plastics and was full of misinformation. When she was done, I asked her if she was so passionate about it, why was she using a disposable Bic pen instead of one that uses refillable ink like mine? Shut her up.
On Friday, February 8, 2019 at 7:08:46 PM UTC-5, Frank wrote:

That sounds like one big, hot mess to me. For starters, once you mix cardboard, mixed paper and garbage together, that's the end of the recycling for the paper. Nobody wants paper product covered in tomato sauce and grease. China, where much of this goes, including the plastics, has tightened their standards so that unless it's pretty much clean and pure, they don't want it. Already municipalities here are in crisis, having to re-evaluate what they are going to do and we keep garbage and recyclables separate and that isn't clean enough for China anymore.

You don't have to make money recycling it. It just has to be the same net cost or cheaper than putting it all in a landfill.
On Sat, 9 Feb 2019 06:28:51 -0800 (PST), trader_4

Even without the tomato sauce and grease, unsorted paper is pretty useless for recycling. They want each type of paper separated. At pennies a pound, sorted you can't afford to sort it after it gets mixed. That is why you see "cardboard only" dumpsters behind places that handle a lot of boxes and the recycler might reject the whole dumpster if he sees anything else in there. It was the same when we were recycling computer paper. Anything that wasn't white bond paper was rejected and the guy would reject the whole load if he saw some of the "recycled" paper in there.
These days we should only be putting metal, #1 and #2 plastic in the recycle. Everything else should be burned for electricity or landfilled.

Landfill is pretty cheap as soon as you get away from the Acela corridor.
On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 12:09:41 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

And EXTREMELY expensive uip here.

You must be in the city.
On Sun, 10 Feb 2019 09:30:23 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I am - not big city like Tpronto thpugh. Even small town in this area the land is too valuable and we depend on groundwater for drinking, so suitable landfill sites are very few and far between.

"Recycling" is just a way to make you feel good about trucking your trash 1000 miles to someone else's landfill.

Same here.

I only do that in a big cleanup.

I keep anything like that in the fridge until bin day and its only stuff like the bone in a roast leg of lamb etc and stuff that has been in the fridge too long and went mouldy.
On 2/7/2019 4:31 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I think sewer rate here is a little lower but water much higher. A bachelor friend pays about $40 and families about $100/month. Over the long haul you can save with well and septic but when a fix is needed you get socked all at once. I think I would prefer the stable route in part because government specifications change. Two neighbors when they sold their houses were forced to put chemical treatment facilities in that take grey water from septic tank into a tank that removes most bacteria and heavy metals before hitting the leach field. County must have tightened up on perk rate of septic fields. Fortunately I have evaporation beds. It cost these neighbors $25,000 each.
Trash and recycle removal once a week cost about $60 for 3 months.
Our old well when installed had recovery rate of 30 gpm. Water was great with no treatment. When my parents were alive and their city water got over chlorinated because of a spill they would get their drinking water from me.
On 2/7/19 7:10 PM, Frank wrote:
[snip]

I used to live in the country, and we had well water. It was really good for drinking, but bad for washing (takes too long to get the soap out).
--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/
On 2/8/2019 8:36 AM, Mark Lloyd wrote:

Hard water, lots of calcium, does that.
I have to test my water and will get a kit and do it myself. The state can do it for $4 but it will take a couple weeks to get full results and over a week to get bacteria. My wife will not drink or even wash with it until we get the bacteria test.
Old well water was border line calcium and plumber wanted to put in treatment which exchanges calcium for sodium. I declined but a neighbor was treating his and discovered he was not allowed to put the sodium flush effluent into the septic and had to put in a separate drain field.