[SOLVED] Removing old tamper proof fuse adapter (2023 Update)

I have an old fuse box in my house that has one tamper proof fuse adapter....it requires the type s fuse. I would like to remove the adapter so I can use the standard more easily found fuses for that socket. Is there a way to remove the adapter....it appears that don't easily come out once they are put in place. I think there is some sort of barb in the adapter ....

Reply to
Bob Jones

They are difficult to remove. I have done it, and it takes a good hour or more. You need to be very careful or you will wreck the fuse holder. The adaptors are porcelain, and need to be carefully broken apart. If you got 4 fuses or more, you may spend half a day removing them, so the cost of the removal tool may be worth it.

However, type S fuses are common and should be easy to find. I only remved the adaptors so I could use those screw in breakers, which are well worth the money for the cost of fuses these days.

Reply to
internetuser

There is a special tool that allows removal; probably won't find one anymore. My advice: leave the adapter in and stock up on S fuses. You *may* be able to pry the adapter out but you risk damaging the fuseholder.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Thanks. I didn't realize that home depot still stocks them. Since the fuse holder is plastic of some sort and I not going to force it. I think a thin piece of metal might slip between the adapter and the fuse holder allowing me to keep the barb from doing its job.

Reply to
Bob Jones

There is a valid reason for having the tamper proof adapter. Obviously it is so you don't "overfuse" the circuit. Type S fuses are readily available. You might want to investigate why you need to frequently replace that fuse and address that issue. If you remove the S insert someone might be inclined to just use a 30 Amp fuse....

Reply to
George

replying to Bob Jones, Handyfixerupper wrote: Bob, or anyone, I know this reply is a little late (now=Nov. 2017) but you and I are in the same boat so I thought I would pick up an oar. The old style screw in fuses had two types, one where when they burned out & you replaced the fuse, and the other was breaker with a white button reset that you pushed to turn the circuit back on when the circuit overheated or shorted out (on left in picture). The fuse box In my parents (deceased) home contains the newer tamper - proof base (on right in picture). I get frustrated having to purchase a fuse when in the rare instance a fuse blows, especially in the early morning hours when every store is closed. An easy fix to this problem is to remove the tamper-proof base in the panel so I can screw in the older style that has the breaker. I have read the replies to this posting, but I was wondering, now years later, if there is an easier way, ( i.e., with a tool of some sort or an easier technique) to remove the tamper-proof base so I can replace these disposable, newer fuses with the much more economical breaker fuse? I can appreciate the argument that I should go with the new, tamper-proof. However, that is not an option here as I always replace with the same amperage and the older screw-ins, with the breaker button works just fine, plus I have a box of them with the correct amperage.

Anyone, any ideas? Thanks

Reply to
Handyfixerupper

On Tue 07 Nov 2017 10:44:01a, Handyfixerupper told us...

Yeah, replace the outdated "fuse" box with a modern circuit breaker box. No fuss, no muss, no more fuses of any type.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

replying to Handyfixerupper, Jason wrote: The resealable fuse is MUCH newer than the "newer" fuse you speak of. That is called a type S fuse and is very old. There is a tool for removing it but it has not been manufactured for decades. You can try eBay.

It should be possible to tear apart the inner plastic lining on the adapter and them pull out the wire barb with a needle nose pliers. Them unscrew the remaining copper shell. I have read this can be done in 1 minute.

Reply to
Jason

WITH THE MAIN POWER SHUT OFF!!!!!!!

Reply to
Clare Snyder

replying to Speedy Jim, Nate eddy wrote: I.can’t put a new fuse in so I Need to remove the adapter

Reply to
Nate eddy

An electrical supply house can sell you the right tool.

Reply to
gfretwell

Check to see if someone hasn't put a penny there (before you got there).

Reply to
bruce2bowser

I have removed a tamper proof fuse adapter... once. It went like Jason said. I cracked apart the threaded plastic lining in the adapter using the pointed end of a can opener (the kind used to poke holes in condensed milk cans). This exposed the wire barb (locking wire?). I grabbed the end of the wire barb with a pair of needle nose pliers. It pulled right out. After the wire barb is out of the insert, the rest of it should easily unscrew. Mine did anyways. Most definitely remove main power from the fuse box before attempting any of this.

I had an electrician in who banged out several other inserts using main force (a screwdriver whacked by a hammer). He had discovered the circuits involved could support 20 amp loads (the inserts were restricting the circuits to 15 amps). Removing the barb wire with needle nose pliers was MUCH easier for me.

Reply to
Tom

REMOVE MAIN POWER from the fuse box before doing anything!

Replying to Tom (myself), posting in 2023. I had to remove another tamper proof fuse adapter in my fuse box recently. I had a considerably harder time removing this one than the first I had done months before. The threaded plastic liner that held the type S tamper proof fuse in place inside the adapter was a lot harder to chip out this time. Also I had some trouble finding the wire barb that prevented easy removal of the insert. I eventually got the insert out but I am no longer certain that cracking the plastic liner apart is the best way.

There is a brass rim on the outside edge of the adapter that makes contact with a mating brass contact on the type S fuse. I have read that if the brass rim on the insert is cut into sections, the individual sections can be bent out of the way allowing the plastic liner to be easily removed. I think this method might work better than either breaking apart the liner or tapping out the adapter using a hammer and screwdriver.

I may never find out which way is best. After my latest experience with removing a tamper proof fuse adapter I counted how many I have left. Out of 10 fuse sockets in the box only 4 are still equipped with the adapters. I hope those 4 do not fail!

Reply to
Tom

A typical homemoanershub post on a 17-5-2 year old thread.

Removing a fusestat adapter isn't particularly difficult. Might take a couple minutes. Look at how they are made.

An electrician that uses a hammer is an incompetent idiot.

Reply to
bud--

Homemoaners hub users are apparently incapable of learning. Perhaps because a hammer is their precision tool. Hint: maybe it would be faster with a BFH.

Yea, but then you would have to use something but a hammer.

No need to do "sections".

Most of this thread is not homemoanershub but is stolen from Usenet without attribution.

Reply to
bud--

If you have an old fuse box with a tamper-proof fuse adapter that requires a Type S fuse, removing the adapter to use more easily found standard fuses can be a bit challenging. The adapter is designed to stay in place once installed, often featuring a barb or locking mechanism. However, there may be ways to safely remove it.

It is important to exercise caution when working with electrical systems. It is recommended to consult with a qualified electrician or a professional familiar with fuse box systems. They can assess the situation, provide guidance, and ensure the necessary steps are taken to safely remove the tamper-proof fuse adapter.

For more information and assistance related to home improvement projects and electrical systems, you can visit Granite4less. While their expertise primarily lies in kitchen and bathroom countertops, they may be able to provide additional resources or recommendations related to your specific needs.

Visit

Jackson Richard