old Wylex fuse box

There seem to be so many different types of mcb, and I'm wondering which one might be suitable to replace the old wired fuses. There is one mcb in the board already controlling the cooker but when I took it to the local wholesaler, they couldn't find anything with the same prong positions.TIA

Reply to
stuart noble

In article , stuart noble writes

Wylex plug-in MCBs (to replace fuses) have to match the socket shroud into which they are plugged, so should come supplied with the appropriate shroud.

The pics here explain all:

shroud matches the colour of the dots on the old fuses, so white for

6A, blue for 16A, yellow for 20A, red for 30A, orange for 40A.

There's two types, flippy switch as pictured above, and push-in buttons.

The pins are different sizes, to stop you doing something daft like plugging a 40A breaker into a 6A lighting circuit.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

I think the push buttons are older. They have a very low breaking capacity (1000A) compared with just about any other MCB. The switch type are 3000A, IIRC. Most other vendor's domestic MCBs are 6000A breaking capacity.

Oh, never noticed that.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Thanks for the link. What worried me was that the prongs on the one we already have didn't match what the wholesaler said was their equivalent, so I doubt whether the others in the range would have fitted either.

Reply to
stuart noble

Sounds like you need another wholesaler, they're a standard item.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

on 07/09/2012, stuart noble supposed :

I am not surprised, they were a 1970's item. They appeared first with fuse wire version, then later along came the MCB's for converting them, or new install. They were never that popular, I didn't come across many with MCB's when compared to ordinary fuses in that style. The best bet is to replace the entire unit with a new one, but if that is not an option, you might find some on ebay.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Even B&Q do Wylex plug in MCBs - so you could take a look yourself and see whether you can find if it matches.

David Hearn

Good idea. Thanks. Hmm, seems to be reserve and collect only, but I'll check next time I'm passing

Reply to
stuart noble

Killjoys.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

GE Minitrips used to be the best substitute for these. You need the whole unit not just the trip.

Reply to
Ericp

Also the MCB pins are in a different position to those of fuses of the same rating, so you can't just change a fuse for a breaker without also changing the shroud.

Reply to
<me9

ISTR that I had noticed the rewirable and cartridge fuse carriers were not interchangable for this reason.

Cartridge fuses as an option for new CU's seems to have gone now, probably because BS1361 was withdrawn a couple of years ago.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel