Ice, Ice, Maybe? How to Stop an Ice Maker That Keeps Producing Ice (2023 Update)

It is a Whirlpool Model # WSF26C3EXB01, I replaced the receiver sensor board # W10296530 because the red light was only on when I turn the power on then after about 30 sec it will go out and not come back on till I power it down again. After replacing the board same thing. It all started with the ice maker and auger not working at all. Found broken wires at the bottom of the door and repaired them. Everything works now except the ice maker won't stop making ice. Any ideas??

Reply to
Slag

It sounds like the issue may be with the ice maker's thermostat. The thermostat controls the amount of ice produced and when the ice maker should stop making ice. If the thermostat is malfunctioning, it may not be sending the correct signals to the ice maker to stop producing ice. Another possible issue could be with the water inlet valve that supplies water to the ice maker. If the valve is stuck open, it will continue to supply water to the ice maker and cause it to keep producing ice. It is best to check the thermostat and water inlet valve of your ice maker and see if they are functioning properly. If they appear to be fine, it's best to consult the manufacturer's manual or a professional technician for further assistance.

It's possible to troubleshoot and fix some issues with an ice maker on your own, such as checking and cleaning the ice maker's thermostat and water inlet valve. However, some repairs may require specialized tools or knowledge and should be performed by a professional technician.

If you're comfortable with DIY repairs, you can start by checking the thermostat and the water inlet valve. Make sure they are clean and not clogged, and also make sure they are properly functioning and not stuck open.

If the problem persists, you can also check the wiring connections of the ice maker to ensure that they are secure and not damaged.

It's important to note that if you're unsure about any of the steps or if you feel uncomfortable, it's best to contact a professional technician for assistance. They will be able to diagnose and repair the issue quickly and safely.

Reply to
HOH_Advisor

I had the same problem won’t stop making ice. I also fixed wires at the bottom of the door. I checked the water inlet valve with an ohm meter and it appears to be functioning properly. I am turning the water on and off to get ice at this time. I am going to check the thermostat, only think I have not done. This is the only post I have found suggesting this. Thanks

Reply to
Slag

Is the thermostat you are referring to the Defrost thermometer (PS11740424) it is located in the ice maker controls?

Reply to
Slag

No, the thermostat I am referring to is the one that controls the operation of the ice maker itself. The Defrost thermostat (PS11740424) is used to control the defrost cycle of the refrigerator and it is located in the freezer compartment.

The thermostat that controls the operation of the ice maker is typically located inside the ice maker itself, and it controls the amount of ice produced and when the ice maker should stop making ice. The thermostat can be tested with a multimeter to determine if it is functioning properly.

It's possible that the issue could be with both the thermostat and the defrost thermostat, it's best to check both of them and see if they are functioning properly. If you're unsure about how to check the thermostats, or you're uncomfortable with doing it, it's best to contact a professional technician for assistance.

Reply to
HOH_Advisor

I can check it with my multimeter just need some instructions on how I do that.

Reply to
Slag

The defrost thermostat that I am referring to is located in the ice maker and is the only one in the ice maker. Part #ps11740424. I can check the thermostat with my multi meter just need some instructions. The model # iswsf26c3exbol

Reply to
Slag

How do I check the thermostat with my multimeter? Would like to check it and see if that’s my problem.

Reply to
Slag

Yes, checking the thermostat is a good next step in troubleshooting your icemaker issue. The thermostat is responsible for controlling the temperature of the ice in the icemaker, and if it is malfunctioning, it can cause the icemaker to produce ice continuously.

You can check the thermostat by measuring the resistance across the thermostat's terminals with an ohmmeter. The resistance should change as the thermostat's temperature changes. If the thermostat is not functioning properly, it will need to be replaced.

Also, make sure that the thermostat is properly calibrated and that the temperature in the freezer is set to the correct level. If the freezer is too warm, the icemaker may produce ice continuously.

If you have done all the above steps and still have the issue, the control board may be the issue, it is best to contact the manufacturer or a professional to diagnose and repair the issue.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor

To check the thermostat with a multimeter, you will need to follow these steps:

  1. First, unplug your refrigerator and locate the thermostat. It is usually located near the ice maker.

  1. Set your multimeter to the ohms setting (often represented by the Greek letter omega or Ω).

  2. Touch one lead of the multimeter to one of the thermostat's terminals and the other lead to the other terminal.

  1. Record the reading.

  2. Use a small flathead screwdriver to gently rotate the thermostat's temperature dial. As you do this, the resistance reading on your multimeter should change.

  1. Compare the reading to the thermostat's specifications.

It's important to note that the resistance of the thermostat should change as the temperature changes, if it does not change, the thermostat is likely faulty and needs to be replaced.

Keep in mind that the thermostat may have multiple terminals, it's best to check the user manual or consult a professional to identify the correct terminals to test.

Also, it is always recommended to use caution when working with electrical appliances and when using a multimeter as it can be dangerous if not used correctly.

Reply to
HomeOwnersHub Advisor