Ice Maker Installation

x-no-archive: Yes

I have anew Estate (Whirlpoool) TS25AFXKT refrigerator, and after connecting the water line to the plastic tubing in the back of the refrigerator, there is water leaking from the barrel connection. I tightened both the refrigerator fitting as well as the copper fitting, and still have drops of water leaking. Also, the water dispenser on the front of the refrigerator does not work. It says to wait three minutes for the water to fill up. Then to drain three gallons of water from the dispenser. I cannot get water to the refrigerator. It sounds as though there is another shut-off valve inside the refrigerator. Is this true? If not, what is the problem? Thanks in advance. John

Reply to
JohnR43867

refrigerator

refrigerator.

refrigerator.

Don't mean to be insulting but:

Did you look at and follow the diagram being sure to put the ferrules (the little brass or plastic rings) on the pipe between the seat and the nut? Quarter to half turn past snug using a wrench.

There is no other cut-off inside the fridge. Is there pressure to the back of the fridge? Did you use a saddle valve for the installation and have you opened the valve after piercing the pipe? Whirlpool specifically says not to use these but it will work almost okay.

If you have pressure to the back of the unit try holding the water valve open for a few minutes. There is no where for the tapped air to go unless there is an open valve. Three gallons though a 1/4" line takes a while to bleed and fill.

Best wishes

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Okay, I managed to get six 12 ounce glasses of water from the front dispenser, however the water pressure was not strong. There is still dripping at the barrel connection to the existing 1/4" copper water supply line. I followed the manufacturer's instructions, and still cannot get the dripping to stop. Any suggestions before I have to call the plumber? I did not install the existing water supply line, it was already there, and functioning fine with the old refrigerator.

Reply to
JohnR43867

Just a thought: Did you happen to reuse the original brass ferrule that was on the original copper line? These shouldn't be reused, and if you don't cut the tubing off & use a new one you run the risk of this connection leaking.

Hope that's of some help.

God bless,

Dave Harnish Dave's Repair Service New Albany, PA

snipped-for-privacy@sosbbs.com

570-363-2404

Have I been helpful to you? I'll BRIBE you for your feedback! Please visit:

Exodus 20:11

Reply to
Dave Harnish

You did not say this was a replacement installation.

If you re-used the old compression nut and ferrule that may be your dripping problem. These things seat and adopt the imperfections of what they are mated with. Cut off the supply line using a tubing cutter add the new nut and ferrule and that should solve that problem unless you have cross-threaded the threads. Be sure to hold the center nut on the union with a wrench while you tighten the leaking nut. While a 1/4 to 1/2 is the recommended pressure twice that much can be used if necessary. Use as little as possible to stop the leak. As a last resort go buy a new brass compression union (the ones on the fridge a usually plastic. 3 bucks versus the plumber).

As I posted earlier you aren't going to get the correct pressure if this is connected with a saddle valve. A saddle valve will in most cases supply enough water for an ice maker but not a water dispenser. You might be able to improve the flow rate slightly by opening and closing the supply valve a time or three. Sometimes sediment gets stuck in the orifice when they are opened and closed.

Sorry to say if you can't solve it from here it is time to call a plumber or an installation tech.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

you dnot have to wait for water in a new whirlpool.. i got the conquest side by side and it took three gallons of water that you throw away for the water to stop coming out with the black carbon dirt(carbon pieces) and the water will run clear...if its new then its under warranty...

Reply to
dbird

refrigerator

I just did mine, a Kitchenaid KBRA22 (Whirlpool) and followed the instructions in the kit. Is your waterline copper or plastic (pex) ? If plastic (like mine) dont use the metal ferrule, use a plastic one. Also, the plastic line needs a metal sleeve inside it to keep it from collapsing when tightening the nut. Further, once I turned on the water, it took half an hour for "something" inside the fridge to sense that it was time to make ice. The line stayed empty/full of air til it suddenly decided to work. The book covered that as well-said it could take hours.

Good luck R

Reply to
Rudy

This is Turtle.

I can't see it from here but

First don't use old ferrules / get new ones.

Second You will have a restriction or not enough of supply water by using the pearcing needle valve.

Thirdly You should have the brass incerts to go inside the plastic tubing line to keep the plastic tubing from crushing in and the ferrules from turning side ways to let it leak. I think you did not use or there was no incerts in the plastic tubing to prevent this. You can buy the incerts that come with a nut and ferrule kits to install plastic tubing. I think the they have the incerts by theirself but rare they will see them by their self. they will come mostly with splicing plastic tubing kits for about a $1.00 or $2.00.

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

x-no-archive: Yes

Thanks for the information and advice everyone.

Yes, I did reuse the old "barrel" splice and fitting on the copper supply line.

Yes, there is a piercing needle valve, so that explains the low water pressure, and does not sound like a quick fix. I will need to live with that, I guess.

Coming from the refrigerator is a plastic tube for the water supply connection, with a "seat" at the end (kind of looks like a mushroom) that holds the fitting in place. I used this fitting that was preinstalled by Whirlpool.

I guess that the threaded fittings and barrels are not reusable. So need to get new replacements for both the refrigerator and the copper supply line. I went to Home Depot, and those guys said they do not sell that stuff. Would need to go to a plumbing supply store instead. Well, I purchased their water line install kit, and it was useless. I could not figure out how the copper stayed in place on the fitting.

How do you get the threaded compression fitting to fit over the copper supply line, and also the plastic tube going to the refrigerator? Does it need to be crimped? Thanks in advance.

Reply to
JohnR43867

John,

With a new Fridge. There should have been nothing to take apart. The water line should have been connected to the valve at the rear bottom of the Fridge. Part number 40 in this drawing.

You simply slip the provided nut and a new plastic or metal ferrule over the existing 1/4" line and tighten it down. If you have tried to connect it anywhere else you have a repair problem on your hands.

If you are trying to splice an extra length of pipe onto an existing line you need a compression union.

The one pictured here can be used with any type of pipe. Note the small nipples or inserts sticking out of the nut. As others have pointed out they are inserted into plastic tubing to stiffen it. They are discarded if using copper supply lines. If the proper owner did something strange like run a

3/8 line you can buy a 3/8 x 1/4 union to make the conversion to the fridge sized 1/4.

The are sold in the plumbing departments at Lowes as pictured and I bet Home Cheapo has them also.

If these links don't give you enough information to solve the problem it is time to call a pro before you break something. Sometimes the smartest DYI guy is the one who knows when to quit.

Good Luck

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt