Ice maker connection problem

I have a Fridgidaire top-freezer fridge with an icemaker. I recently tried to hook up the ice maker, but when I examined the cold water connection at the bottom of the unit, instead of the 1/4 inch connection I expected to find, there was a male garden hose connection

- just like for a washing machine.

The manual is useless as it shows a completely different setup.

Is there any way I can adapt this for a standard ice maker connection kit?

Reply to
pupdef

Post a picture. I wanta see this. It might be you're misunderstand the connection.

Reply to
Zyp

Something is wrong or missing. Did you recently buy this unit? Call your dealer

From the Frigidaire instructions: Before Installing The Water Supply Line, You Will Need

. Basic Tools: adjustable wrench, flat-blade screwdriver, and PhillipsTM screwdriver

. Access to a household cold water line with water pressure between 20 and

120 psi.

. A water supply line made of ¼ inch (6.4 mm) OD, copper tubing. To determine the length of copper tubing needed,

you will need to measure the distance from the ice maker inlet valve at the back of the refrigerator to your cold water

pipe. Then add approximately 7 feet (2.1 meters), so the refrigerator can be moved out for cleaning (as shown).

. A shutoff valve to connect the water supply line to your household water system. DO NOT use a self-piercing type

shutoff valve.

. A compression nut and ferrule (sleeve) for connecting the water supply line to the ice maker inlet valve.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Not the OP, but:

Oren

You have confused your refrigerator with a water heater.

Reply to
HeyBub

No, at the bottom of his unit, he found a garden hose connection.

Reply to
Oren

Or even on topic, but funny nonetheless.

- Rodger

Reply to
Rodger

I've installed 3 ice makers on 3 different fridges and they all had 1/4 connectors. I don't think you're looking at the right thing because there is no need for that size connector.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I had one like this once. The hose fitting was on the side of the water valve. The installation kit provided an adapter to 1/4" feed tube. I assumed that the hose fitting was so that connect/disconnect could be done quickly. BTW, get the re-enforced plastic 1/4" hose, or else 1/4" copper tube. The other stuff will "cook" and burst at the most inconvenient time!

Reply to
professorpaul

Right. It's a water heater.

Reply to
HeyBub

Somewhere in my pile of clutter I do have such an adaptor. I'm not sure how you'd get one local to you. Maybe a hardware store with a plumbing section.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Here is a link to a picture of what I have:

pupdef

I've never seen one like that. The instructions don't mention anything about needing an adapter, but evidently you do. Could it be a connector is missing from the factory? I'd at least ask the dealer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I have seen a lot of valves with that type of connection. I guess they were on fairly old valves, and not used much anymore. It shouldn't be hard to find fittings to adapt at HD, Lowes or a hardware store. You will probably have to use two-- one from hose to pipe thread, and another from pipe to compresssion. Like Chris/Stormin Mormon, I am sure I have at least one around somewhere, so if you absolutely can't find what you need, EMail me and I'll see if I can find one. Larry

Reply to
lp13-30