Ice Maker Problem

We have a 5 year old refrigeraor with a top freezr where the ice maker is mounted (no dispenser, just an ice bin).

We use a lot of ice every day and recently noticed that a layer of ice was building up on the on the bottom of the bin. When the service man came out, he installed a new ice maker. However, it's still freezing water on the bottom of the bin. At the same time, it's also make the expected quantity of ice cubes.

A second service man came out and examined the new ice maker and said there was nothing wrong it it. I doubt he know what he's talking about, since the problem is recurring. Our top freezer maintains a minus 10?F temperature.

We're scheduled to have another service call, but in the meantime, any suggestions for trouble shooting?

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

The solenoid valve is leaking or the fill calibration is off and overflowing the tray a little bit .

--

Snag

Reply to
Terry Coombs

[snip]
+1

Another possible, but not probable is that the refrigerator is way out of level and you've set the control to make the largest ice cube.

Before calling the serviceman back, try these steps.

Adjust the control to make a smaller ice cube. If that stops the problem then the issue is likely a) out of level or b) improper calibration (though since you have a new ice maker, it's unlikely)

Leaving the ice size control where you normally have it, lift the wire bail that drops into the bin (to control whether or not the maker makes ice). When you have a spare moment and it's been that way long enough to freeze up a batch of ice in the maker, drop the bail to begin the "thaw, dump and fill cycle. You'll see the little fingers atop the ice maker move the ice out of the tray and into the bin and then hear the solenoid open and, hopefully, close. Keep looking in the ice maker and bin to see if you can detect dripping water either indicating an overflow or a leak.

My money, from your description, is a LEAKY solenoid. You may just have a little bit of gunk in there preventing complete closure.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Before you schedule a service call, go talk to the manager about the money wasted and incompetent servicemen. Yes, the icemaker is working properly but they don't seem to have the skills needed to diagnose the real problem. They should fix it properly at no additional cost to you.

Oh, i agree with the others about the leaking solenoid valve.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

[snip]

Ain't that the truth? It seems anymore that "service technicians" are nothing more than "parts swappers." Throw parts at it until the problem goes away. Logic and the ability to FIX minor issues have left the building. :-(

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Does the ice bin sit right on the bottom of the freezer compartment? If so try propping it up off the bottom a little to allow air circulation under the bin. It might be that the floor of the freezer is not as well insulated as it should be and running warmer.

Reply to
gfretwell

On Thu 03 Aug 2017 04:50:08a, Wayne Boatwright told us...

Thanks to all who posted! All good tips for sorting this out. One thing I do know for sure is that the refrigerator is sitting perfectly level. I checked the level in both directions.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 04 Aug 2017 04:19:15p, Oren told us...

I will, indeed. If I haven't figured it out for myself, I'll let you now what the service man finds.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright