Saw blade question

I have a Steel Pro 10", 48T saw blade, part #72811. The box says it's for cutting steel & ferrous metals. I've looked up on the net, and found this is indeed what the blade is used for. I had gotten a deal at a garage sale some years ago, and bought 2 of these blades, unused, in the boxes for $10. I couldn't pass this up!

Now for my question. I plan on installing some laminate flooring, which has aluminum oxide in it. Would this blade be a good one for cutting the laminate?

Thanks.

Reply to
Nate Zigler

These blades were designed to cut steel. They will certainly cut wood products, but are not meant to provide the cleanest, best cut in wood. Aluminum cuts quite well with wood cutting blades. Aluminum oxide is the black stuff you get on your hands from handling non anodized aluminum. None of which needs the steel blades. Try one to see if you are getting a nice enough cut for your needs or just use a blade meant for wood.

Reply to
DanG

What kind of saw? Check the manual and make sure the blade is appropriate for your saw!

A 48T blade? Move to 60T, 80T or even 96T for a finer cut of laminate.

Reply to
Oren

I'd buy a good carbide blade and then I'd have it sharpened when the job is done. Worst case scenario is you try the blade you have and see how good the cut is. Designed for steel, it may not give the clean cut you want.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It'd work, but you rarely need the best blade/cut for laminate as the cut ends are hidden. The amount of aluminum oxide in the finish on your prefinished flooring is minimal. You certainly won't notice the increased wear on the blade.

RicodJour

Do a typical room or two with laminate and the blade is super dull. You need carbide and you need frequent sharpening.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Those blades are carbide, Edwin, and it's a higher grade carbide. The OP already has two - there's no point in him running out to buy a wood blade when he spent $5 on the steel cutting one.

RicodJour

If you read my original reply, you'd see I suggested he try the blade. My comment is that you said he won't notice the increase wear. Laminate dulls carbide easily.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski