Cutting PVC Pipe with Miter saw

I need to cut about 200 pcs of 2" PVC pipe. I want to use my miter saw. Whats the best type of blade for this?

Reply to
bdeditch

A very find tooth blade ... think hacksaw-like.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Any good carbide tip will give a good clean cut. A fine tooth will burn it somewhat cutting through and you will have a ragged cut.

Reply to
Glenn

Too coarse and you will have a chipped edge which is really ragged!

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I've cut all sizes of pvc on my radial arm saw with the standard cross cut blade. No chipping. About any blade EXCEPT a real fine one will work.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Carbide tripe chip tooth form

here's a reasonable choice

cheers Bob

Reply to
Bobk207

try using the blade that's on your saw right now. it will work fine.

Reply to
bill allemann

Its the number of teeth per inch on the blade that gives the smoothest cut. That's why that metric is imprinted on the blade and that's why the advice to think like a hack saw was smart advice and the fallacy claiming any carbide tip was dumb.

Any blade equivalent to a finish plywood blade will suffice for cutting PVC or most any other non-mettalic tubular material.

Reply to
clintonG

--

Reply to
Bobk207

I had a 200 tooth plywood blade on backwards to cut some acrylic light shield. It did a great job on a dozen 2" ABS pipe: perfect joints. I didn't even turn it around. Don't know what damage, if any to blade. May want to get a (n all purpose) blade specific for just this purpose for a double sawbuck.

Reply to
bent

Technically the best blade for cutting PVC and most plastics (and aluminum) would be one with a 0-5 degree negative rake. The rake being the angle that the cutting tooth leans forward. In practicality these blades are damn near impossible to find and when you can they are rather expensive. So the next best thing is, as you said, a fine tooth blade. Generally speaking the more teeth, the less rake which is more important than number of teeth. PVC, plastics and aluminum cut best when the tooth scrapes it's way through. A positive rake blade will tend to pull the material into the blade where a zero or negative rake will not.

This is exactly why many folks will install a circular saw blade backwards to cut vinyl and other this plastics that are prone to chipping.

All that said, whatever blade the op has will probably work just fine for cutting PVC pipe. If however someone were doing production cutting and needed a smooth edge it would probably be worthwhile to track down the correct blade.

Reply to
Art

replying to bent, Old Jim wrote: I have my own related question. without my knowledge, a buddy used my miter saw to cut 2" pvc pipe. It has a general purpose construction blade. Blade looks like it has melted pvc on it. Went to use it and it won't cut 2 x 4's worth a darn and basically burns through them. Do you think the bonehead ruined it. Don't want to yell at him without a second opinion.

Reply to
Old Jim