PVC pipe roof boot

The radon guy is going to punch a hole in my roof for the radon exhaust pipe. I am OK with this.

He told me he has a roof boot for the pipe that he can install from the inside of the attic. He doesn't have to get on the roof to install it. I have never heard of such a thing. I am really concerned something like this would leak. Have you ever seen such a thing?? What is it called so I can take a google? Thanks.

Reply to
Jack

"KOZY KOLLAR"

"The only roof flashing you install from INSIDE the building OVER shingles or similar roofing materials which forms a weather tight seal for vent pipe penetrations. Patented and proven, the Kollar utilizes three independent gasket systems that are designed to work in conjunction with each other to Keep out the elements and Keep You Off The Roof.

Oren

I'd tell a contractor, "No thanks, flash it the standard way." What a huge cutout!

Reply to
mike

$50-60 for the Kozy Kollar seems a little pricey too. I don't like the big hole either. Also working in my main unfinished attic is no picnic.

Reply to
Frank

-snip-

*I* wouldn't pay $50. but if I was not inclined to do the job myself, and a guy who I was paying $25-100 /hr wanted to use one & he was going to guarantee no leaks for say a year--- then I'd think it was a bargain.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

A year? What consolation is that when everything else on your roof has a minimum of 20/30 years?

The thing is made for two types of people: people that are afraid of heights people that don't mind cutting corners

You can't fight water and win if you don't respect it. It wants to flow downhill, let it. Don't put a dam in its way and expect water not to get pissed off.

RicodJour

Absolutely right. A thing is conventional because it works. Any deviation is at your own risk. Tom

Reply to
tom

Well said. I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig for a new expensive widget when the existing solution is cheap and proven.

Reply to
trader4

So why don't he just tie into the vent pipe in the basement and save some money and holes in the roof?

Reply to
Van Chocstraw

You're getting ripped off.

Reply to
mike

Regarding install costs for a real flashing boot. In RI, I'm getting $200.00+ installed for a two-story colonial.

Reply to
Jack

In RI (probably most places) you need to exhaust the radon to the outside above the eaves. There is a pipe from the basement to the attic. From there, it needs to get outside. Also, code doesn't allow a tie-in to a plumbing vent stack.

Reply to
Jack

Reply to
Jack

Looks like I picked the wrong decade to quit roofing...I used to charge about a 1/4 of that back in the early 90's. Tom

Reply to
tom

You also have to factor in some other things, like life expectancy, how it affects reroofing, etc.

You're getting high prices for the vent flashing as you're probably asking the contractor to just do the one item. What would normally be a half hour job for someone already working on your house becomes a

2-4 hour job for someone having to make a special trip.

If you don't yet have a contract with the radon guy, I'd tell him that you're going to get some more quotes as you don't want that type of vent flashing. More than likely he'd bite the bullet and find his way up on the roof. If not, I'm sure you could show another radon guy the first guy's numbers and get the standard time-tested flashing for the same overall price.

RicodJour