On 25 Jan 2006 20:46:48 -0800, "RogertheShrubber"
:I have an 80 year old house with three layers of asphalt shingles. A
:few, 2-3, shingles had come loose during the fall and I decided that it
:would be a good idea to replace the whole thing. I was hoping to make
:it until this spring/summer, but in the last week we have had some
:storms with very high wind gusts (Westchester County, just north of
:the Bronx, NY) which pulled off a 4' x 20' section of the top layer of
:shingles. No visible leaking has occurred yet, even with downpours, but
:I do not want to risk major damage.
:I'll need to strip off all the old layers and probably will go with
:asphalt shingles.I called a contactor and told him the situation. He
:said that I should wait until it gets warmer because the shingles will
:break more easily in the cold weather.
:Was wondering if the above statement is true? If there were a week long
:period without snow or rain could I get the job done? Would it be
:better to try and fix the spot where the top layer shingles have fallen
:off and wait until warmer weather to redo the whole thing? Is it ok to
:wait without doing anything because I still have two layers underneath?
:Maybe I just got unlucky with this 1st contractor and should seek out
:Thanks for any help/advice.
I was hoping to make it through my winter before a total tearoff of my
95 year old house's roof, but an early storm convinced me to get it
done, when I couldn't figure out how to stop a leak. It was, just prior
to the rains when they did the job, and mostly it was quite dry and
warm. In that, I was lucky.
You could get more recommendations, but I think you can wait until warm
weather. A 4' x 20' section of the top layer is exposed. You don't
detect leaks. You are probably alright. I assume you are going to tear
off everything down to the skip sheathing and lay on CDX, felt and
shingles. If there's any problems, they will fix them, but you probably
won't have any. Maybe you have good plywood over your skip sheathing
already, but in an 80 year old house, I doubt it. If there's some
damaged ply, they can just replace it. If it gets all new ply (the CDX),
then it's all new anyway. I think you'll be fine. You could try tarping
that small section, if you are nervous. Trying to get it all done in a
short dry spell sounds risky to me and nervewracking. Yes, they can tarp
against rain/snow, but it will be easier on everybody if you wait for
warm weather. Good luck.