Should I replace a 9 year old furnace?

I am getting a new central A/C unit that has seen better days. It's 15+ years old, and it finally died. I was told they have to replace something above the furnace (the condesor?). While they are here working on my furnace, should I just get a new furnace too??

I have a Lennox furnace that is still working, but it's 9+ years old. Manufactured in early1993.

Of course, they are offering me a package deal to also replace the furnace if I want. Initially I said no, but I have no idea the average life expectancy of an average furnace. If they only last 12 years (on average), I hate to have them back out in a year or so.

Looking for advice for anyone that was in my situation.......

Reply to
Bill

If it 80% or less efficent and you have a long heating season, run the numbers. to see what you will save with a 94%. Otherwise no I wouldnt

Reply to
mark Ransley

I am no expert but in my experience, a furnace will last much more than 10 or 12 years, and that is in a cold climate where it gets lots of use. At the very least, I would get another heating contractor to come by and see what he recommends, why and at what price. Even if he charges you a service call for doing so. A second opinion is worth it for the peace of mind that you are not being cheated by the first contractor. If the first contractor objects strenuously to you getting a second opinion, I think that tells you something. You might want to post your message in alt.hvac

Good luck!

Reply to
Loose Cannon

In my opinion the only thing your going to gain from a new furnace it a bit more sophisticated combustion controls and a new warrantee.. You may also benefit from the fact that if something doesn't work properly on the totally new installation, your installer and the OEM are totally responsible, without dispute.

Selling you a new furnace just increases the AC installers profit margin and simplifies his installation a bit..

But to answer your question, I would say 20 years is the outside limit on a furnace.. There are a few elements in the combustion chamber that can burn out but these can be replaced. Combustion controls have go to electronic, but the old electrical stuff has worked fine for a long period and could be depended on into the future or that could be up dated in an older unit.

The only time I would recommend upgrading is when someone has a furnace that dates back to the 50s where fuel was very cheap and efficiency was not a factor in the design. Anything from the late '70s on will be built with a much higher efficiency and reliability.

Reply to
Steve

Hi, My 9 year old(installed in '94) Carier furnace is still working like new. HSI was replaced 2 years ago which was only trouble I had. Tony

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Tony Hwang

A properly installed, well-maintained modern furnace should last more than

20 years. Poorly installed, neglected equipment can fail in less than 5. With that said, your 9 +/- year-old Lennox is probably nearing it's halfway point. How long do you plan to stay in the house? If more than ten years, you might want to replace the furnace at the same time as your evaporator coil to take advantage of the labor savings. In my experience (20+ years, HVAC), Lennox equipment generally holds up well over time. But, ignition modules and blower motor replacements are not uncommon for any piece of equipment over ten years old, and can run several hundred bucks. Forget about efficiency payoffs and all that nonsense. Saving $50-$75/year on utilities will eventually offset the initial expense, but it's not a good enough reason to rip out a working appliance. A straight furnace replacement in 5-10 years will absolutely cost much more than the additional cost now.

Haggle with the contractor and do some research into who is best to use in your area. You have heat, so there's no rush. Winter months are historically much slower than summer for most gas guys, so you have a decided advantage timing-wise. Whatever you do, make sure you get the right job. It makes all the difference. Good Luck.

Reply to
C.J.

our furnace is probably 50 years old. it's a big cast iron thing.

everyone we asked told us not to change it because new furnaces have crappier construction.

Reply to
j j

You don't say if your furnance is liquid or gas fueled.

If the former, a furance of this vintage would be classified as a 'Pot-burner' and is considered to be very low efficiency.

In '69 I purchased a old house with a cast iron oil furnace. Used it for one winter and found it to complicated to light for my wife, when I was away from home for the beginning of the heating season.. She has to have the serviceman come and that cost about $20..

The second season I installed a modern fuel oil furnace with all automatic controls. Not only was it easier to operate (never had to light it), but it was WAY MORE cost efficient. Since I did the installation myself, I only had the cost of the furnace. I think I had the new furnace paid for in fuel savings with in 3 years (when I sold the house).

Reply to
Steve

I assume you're talking to me.

it's oil-burning. we've had this house for 2 winters already, this is the third. it burns a lot of fuel, but the house has poor insulation (50 years ago they had no insulation in the walls) and our consumption is similar to other people's.

I don't understand what you mean by "hard to light" it lights itself. we have a thermostat that controls the burner. we don't light anything.

what do you consider as part of the furnace? the tank is cast iron and 50 years old, but the burner is not that old.

Reply to
j j

jj Your unit is probably 50 % efficent . You could put in a 90+ . And your blower is taking alot more KWH than the new ones.. You should replace it.

Reply to
mark Ransley

My home is 10 yrs old the a/c started to leak this spring, I opted for a new furnace variable speed motor, and a 16 seer heat pump/ac 2 stage combo.

The furnace should last 20 yrs, I wanted the most efficiently I could get. I installed a Maytag 10 yrs parts and labor, on both units, best in the industry,

Tom

Reply to
tflfb

Not exactly in your same situation, but my oil furnace is 29 years old (Weil-McLain) and still working OK. A bit noisy, a bit smelly at times, and the efficiency's pretty low, though. I'd wait on a 9 year old unit. We're selling our house in about a year, and we will replace the furnace before we go. A new Buderus or Weil-McLain Gold will set me back about $4000.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

Ok..forget I am in the trade...

First thing to keep in mind...the furnace, will break. Not IF, but WHEN. Second thing..Lennox is complete utter no longer Amercian owned garbage. Hard to get parts, expensive parts, and in general, you can get better for the money.

Furnaces last more than 12 years....as long as it wasnt a Lennox Pulse...:) (really)

If your unit is that old, and I assume its gas, it will be more than likely, an 80% AFUE, meaning that for every dollar in fuel you burn, 20 cents at the least goes up the flue. Since you are getting a new condensor(outdoor unit for the AC) and a new evaporator (part above the furnace) does it not make sense to replace the furnace at the same time, since the labor will be much less now, you will get a new parts warranty, and have the benefit of knowing the systems completely matched, and designed to work together? Look into a 94% or higher unit. A little extra work will need to be done, like honest to God PVC intake and exhaust flues going outside, but its well worth it long term.

Reply to
CBHvac

Then you are asking the wrong people. Granted, they dont make tanks anymore.

Reply to
CBHvac

For the last time...Maytags NOT got the best warranty... And for sure does not have the best unit.....not by a long shot. Hyundai went to a longer warranty too...but I damn sure wasnt gonna run out and buy one.

Reply to
CBHvac

Hi, Big cast iron thingy alright but at what efficiency? Maybe your dollar is going up the chimney more than heating your house. How about doing some cost anaysis? Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

50% or 60% maybe? Seen a few old oil units that MIGHT make it to the 50% range...and have seen more than one Chrysler Airtemp gas unit that was feeling frisky if it saw 65%....

Bingo...

With AFUE ratings, its simple.. Figure, just on fuel, that if you have a 60% unit, 60 cents of the heat generated, goes into the home, with 40 cents going off to heat the world... now, with a 95% unit, only 5 cents goes away...not including the savings on more energy friendly motors and controls.

Reply to
CBHvac

Reply to
tflfb

so, let's say current furnace is 50% efficient. let's say we get a 90% efficient one. how much less fuel is that per year?

Reply to
j j

what determines the efficiency of a furnace?

is it the fact that it's a tank (are modern furnaces different?) or the burner itself?

Reply to
j j