How do I sabotage my furnace!!!

We really need a new furnance but the wife keeps putting it off. I need a tip to sabotage it before winter comes. It is a 30 year old Lennox. Thanks guys. :crybaby:

Reply to
mnbarrister

Lossen the motor belt so nothing blows. Throw the breaker, or if your wife is wise of that leave the breaker on and trip the switch that controlls the funnace(the light switch one). Open up the thermostat and remove the mercury container that adjusts the settings. Disconnect a low voltage wire that goes to the thermostat. Or make a fake web site that says the model of furnace you are using has a tendancy to blow up after 29 years.

Thats my effort.

Reply to
Dick

Set thermostat to min. Remove cover and disconnect wire. Cover wire with some kind of "invisible" insulation. Reconnect and put cover back.

Reply to
ppp

What does the wife have to do with it?

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

This is the way I look at it. I have a 30 year old furnace that cost me about $200 a month (for 6 months) to heat my house. If I install a new high effifancy furnace for $4500+ how long will it take me to save $4500..... A very, very, very long time.... Keep the furnace until it breaks..

Reply to
HotRod

She, evidently, has the balls in the family.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Spray it with gasoline then light it on fire. Once she see the flames she will agree to a new one. Thats what I do to my computer every year.

Reply to
Bob

Lets see thats 4 years to recoup your investment then every thing after that for say the next 16 is gravy. I would replace.

I dont know where else you can get that kind of return on your money.

Reply to
Jimmie D

I'd reckon she's something of a co-owner and partner....

Reply to
Banty

Possibly the brains, too.

barry

run the numbers to prove iot will save bucks after X years....

then let her decide

Reply to
hallerb

Run numbers for her, yours when new was 80%, it is now likely 70- 75% efficient, dirty burner and clogged-dirty coils. New 94.5% efficient units with VSDC blower could save you maybe 25% on Ng and 10-20% on electric. Figure in maintanance, things braking at -20f or a complete exchanger failure which at 30 yrs is going to happen sooner or later, and the excessive cost you will pay when the heating season is raising furnace prices, Now double the price of the utilities 5 yrs out, and figure a 20% increase this winter, if she is blind to the benefits pull a fuse, remove a wire.

Reply to
m Ransley

How about the truth? That furnace has an expected lifespan of 15 to 25 years. If you replace it before it fails, you can shop for the best quality unit at the best price. If it fails in Mid-winter, you will be paying top dollar for whatever piece of crap you can get installed on short notice. You will not be in a negotiating position. If it's on a weekend, you will be paying double time for the labor, as well. Best of luck to you.

CWM

Reply to
Charlie Morgan

Sounds like a nice marriage -- can't come to a mutual, intelligent, reasonable conclusion, can only trick one another into getting what you want. BTW, I have a 30-year-old Lennox and got three estimates for replacement recently. Using actual bills for last winter's heat (rather than guesstimates about the furnace's current efficiency), the BEST potential savings calculation was that it would take 15-16 years to pay for the new furnace (approximately 10%/month with a $200 fuel bill). So yes, it would pay back eventually, but as a fairly long-term investment. Nothing like the "few years" claimed in some of these postings. Every one of the salesmen switched in midstream from the "you'll save huge money" to the "you'll be more comfortable" tactic.

Jo Ann

mnbarrister wrote:

Reply to
Jo Ann

You might want to adjust for the cost of the money opportunity lost or interest. That should about wipe out the increase utility cost.

I vote on waiting until the next non-trivial failure.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

our lennox duracurve 60+ or whatever dates back till about 1965 before we lived here.

it works fine.

a new high efficent will save gas but probably cost more in maintence and repairs.

still i want to replace it mostly to get central air which would be a pain to install in this old furnace

Reply to
hallerb

This is the one of few reasons I'd see for replacing a well-working but old unit, if the efficiency numbers didn't point to it. About the only other would be if it were part of a general renovation.

But it depends - what is the relationship and level of trust with one's oil/gas/HVAC provider? What is the climate? What is the homeowner's tolerance for a cold weekend at worst? Is the water heater separate?

I'd still lean to keeping the older furnace, if it's working well. Of course there *are* reasons to replace things, even if they're still going along, but one has to ask oneself how much of the urge to replace comes from the appeal of the shiny and new.

But then again, I've always kept my cars and trucks for a decade or so, maintained them well, and come out ahead...

Banty

Reply to
Banty

So, it appears that you think the new furnace will have no fuel costs? I'd like one of those myself.

|Bob

Reply to
Bob

Buying a new furnace doesn't make the fuel it uses free.

Reply to
CJT

OK, so I let her wear the pants sometimes...it's when she takes them off that gets my attention! It's give and take guys and she can give...and take........

Now, she is also an engineer so no dumb blonde ideas...I need to break it so she won't know it.

Reply to
mnbarrister