How do I sabotage my furnace!!!

We really need a new furnance but the wife keeps putting it off. I need a tip to sabotage it before winter comes. It is a 30 year old Lennox. Thanks guys. :crybaby:
Lossen the motor belt so nothing blows. Throw the breaker, or if your wife is wise of that leave the breaker on and trip the switch that controlls the funnace(the light switch one). Open up the thermostat and remove the mercury container that adjusts the settings. Disconnect a low voltage wire that goes to the thermostat. Or make a fake web site that says the model of furnace you are using has a tendancy to blow up after 29 years.
Thats my effort.

replying to Dick, susandangas wrote: is there a specific website that you can do this or are you making it up.
On Tuesday, September 5, 2017 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-4, susandangas wrote:

I recommend doing it on the HomeMoanersHub website.
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 05 Sep 2017 15:14:02 GMT, susandangas

Do you realize how little sense you make when you use pronouns with no other meaning? "This"?
Why do all you people refuse to quote what you are replying to?
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:21:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (mnbarrister) wrote:

Set thermostat to min. Remove cover and disconnect wire. Cover wire with some kind of "invisible" insulation. Reconnect and put cover back.
mnbarrister wrote:

What does the wife have to do with it?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

She, evidently, has the balls in the family.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Possibly the brains, too.

I'd reckon she's something of a co-owner and partner....

This is the way I look at it. I have a 30 year old furnace that cost me about $200 a month (for 6 months) to heat my house. If I install a new high effifancy furnace for $4500+ how long will it take me to save $4500..... A very, very, very long time.... Keep the furnace until it breaks..

Lets see thats 4 years to recoup your investment then every thing after that for say the next 16 is gravy. I would replace.
I dont know where else you can get that kind of return on your money.
Run numbers for her, yours when new was 80%, it is now likely 70- 75% efficient, dirty burner and clogged-dirty coils. New 94.5% efficient units with VSDC blower could save you maybe 25% on Ng and 10-20% on electric. Figure in maintanance, things braking at -20f or a complete exchanger failure which at 30 yrs is going to happen sooner or later, and the excessive cost you will pay when the heating season is raising furnace prices, Now double the price of the utilities 5 yrs out, and figure a 20% increase this winter, if she is blind to the benefits pull a fuse, remove a wire.
m Ransley wrote:

You might want to adjust for the cost of the money opportunity lost or interest. That should about wipe out the increase utility cost.
I vote on waiting until the next non-trivial failure.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

So, it appears that you think the new furnace will have no fuel costs? I'd like one of those myself.
|Bob
Jimmie D wrote:

Buying a new furnace doesn't make the fuel it uses free.
Spray it with gasoline then light it on fire. Once she see the flames she will agree to a new one. Thats what I do to my computer every year.

run the numbers to prove iot will save bucks after X years....
then let her decide
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:21:56 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@spam.invalid (mnbarrister) wrote:

How about the truth? That furnace has an expected lifespan of 15 to 25 years. If you replace it before it fails, you can shop for the best quality unit at the best price. If it fails in Mid-winter, you will be paying top dollar for whatever piece of crap you can get installed on short notice. You will not be in a negotiating position. If it's on a weekend, you will be paying double time for the labor, as well. Best of luck to you.
CWM

This is the one of few reasons I'd see for replacing a well-working but old unit, if the efficiency numbers didn't point to it. About the only other would be if it were part of a general renovation.
But it depends - what is the relationship and level of trust with one's oil/gas/HVAC provider? What is the climate? What is the homeowner's tolerance for a cold weekend at worst? Is the water heater separate?
I'd still lean to keeping the older furnace, if it's working well. Of course there *are* reasons to replace things, even if they're still going along, but one has to ask oneself how much of the urge to replace comes from the appeal of the shiny and new.
But then again, I've always kept my cars and trucks for a decade or so, maintained them well, and come out ahead...
Banty