How do I sabotage my furnace!!!

Sounds like a nice marriage -- can't come to a mutual, intelligent, reasonable conclusion, can only trick one another into getting what you want. BTW, I have a 30-year-old Lennox and got three estimates for replacement recently. Using actual bills for last winter's heat (rather than guesstimates about the furnace's current efficiency), the BEST potential savings calculation was that it would take 15-16 years to pay for the new furnace (approximately 10%/month with a $200 fuel bill). So yes, it would pay back eventually, but as a fairly long-term investment. Nothing like the "few years" claimed in some of these postings. Every one of the salesmen switched in midstream from the "you'll save huge money" to the "you'll be more comfortable" tactic.
Jo Ann
mnbarrister wrote:

our lennox duracurve 60+ or whatever dates back till about 1965 before we lived here.
it works fine.
a new high efficent will save gas but probably cost more in maintence and repairs.
still i want to replace it mostly to get central air which would be a pain to install in this old furnace
OK, so I let her wear the pants sometimes...it's when she takes them off that gets my attention! It's give and take guys and she can give...and take........
Now, she is also an engineer so no dumb blonde ideas...I need to break it so she won't know it.

If she is an engineer, chances are she will spot sabotage. If she is a good engineer, she can easily explain why, or why not, the furnace should be replaced. She should be able to do a simple cost analysis based on efficiency, fuel cost, maintenance cost. Then a logical decision can be made.

So - talk it over with her. Maybe the concern of a mid-winter breakdown will convince her.
What are her reasons for wanting to hang on to the furnace? For that matter, what are your reasons for wanting to replace it?
I tell you one thing, pulling s**t to get your way on a dumb thing like this isn't worth the price.
Banty

mnbarrister wrote:

Super glue in the bearings might work and be hard to detect.
I'm looking into buying a new furnace, and looking into the numbers. As it turns out, what the furnace guy told my wife, and reality are two very different things, so I was thinking of posting a web-site which describes how to make a realistic estimate of the real cost of one furnace over another. I'll let you know when it's done
The long and the short of it is that a furnace does not pay itself off over two to three years (unless your yearly gas bill is close to double the price of the new furnace, and you're moving from an 50% to 90% furnace...). Realisticly, you're looking at 8-10 years. As well, if you take time-value-of-money into account, the high-efficiency furnaces don't look as appealing. Everything depends on your gas bill, and current furnace of course, but I'll post all of that.
replying to julvr, Creck wrote: I also have a 30 year old furnace that has a terrible mercury switch that just ticks for ever. We still have a home warranty, so we need this thing to die. We need to kill ours so the warranty company will cover it.