Should I Replace the Furnace?

My furnace is 21 years old and I am thinking of replacing it this year to take advantage of the $1500 tax credit and hopefully save some energy cost. The AC is the same age and would also be replaced.

The furnace is a Carrier Weathermaker Infinity (58SXi) and has an Annula Fuel Utilization Efficiency rating of 94%.

The furnace runs fine. Outside of a rather expensice blower motor replacement 10 years ago, I have had no problems.

I can't see getting a new furnace that would be much more efficient than the current one, so no savings there. On the other hand, it is pretty old and will eventually have to be replaced and I hate to miss out on the $1500 tax credit.

Thanks in advance for your opinions on this.

Rob

Reply to
Rob Kiz

Take a hard look at the furnace/AC system.

Unless you reasonably expect it to last another 5+ years without major repair expense, seems likely that you would do well to take advantage of the $1500 tax credit and replace the system soon.

Will

Reply to
Wilfred Xavier Pickles

As you said, I doubt you will add any savings for heat. The last 21 years has seen some remarkable improvements in AC systems. I doubt your current AC is more than 6 seer 8 on the outside. You can double either of those seer ratings today.

Even with some of the lowest electric rates in the country, we spend about the same to cool the house as we do to heat it.

21 years for a 90+ system is EOL time.
Reply to
Colbyt

21 years is along time on thin high efficency heat exchangers, its lived its life. New AC seer could cut your bill in half if you live in an area where it gets alot of use and present seer is low, You should find out what the Seer is of the AC and look at a Seer comparison chart to figure out what you really might save. You can get a VSDC motor that will cut yearly blower bills maybe 10% or more. Overall control board electric consumption may be lower as well. With new high efficency stuff and the VSDC motor get the 10yr or more warranty. You need to get bids and run AC numbers to figure what savings might be. At 21 years 1500$ its a good idea.
Reply to
ransley

Get two and save $3,000.

Heck, if you got ten you'd save $15,000.

A basic rule, at least for computers, is don't buy for the future because when the future gets here the item will be cheaper.

Reply to
HeyBub

I'm looking to replace my 12 year old units. (HVAC)

I have a 30% tax rebate coming for 2009 tax year for one brand new garage door.

Anyway, I read this.

  • "The central air conditioner also needs a blower motor?which is usually part of the furnace?to blow the cool air through the duct system. The only way to ensure that your new air conditioner performs at its rated efficiency, is to replace your heating system at the same time. It?s especially recommended if your furnace is over 15 years old. If you purchase a new energy-efficient air conditioner but connect it to an older furnace and blower motor, your system will not perform to its rated efficiency."

Oren

Don't be fooled. You must qualify to get the residential energy credit. Some do, some don't. I didn't!

Reply to
Phisherman

The limit for the credit is $1500 and you must qualify to get any of it.

Reply to
Phisherman

You will spend $8000 to get a $1500 tax credit to replace a perfectly functioning high end furnace with something that is likely not as well made?

Reply to
clare

If I ONLY paid $1000 to replace my AC with a unit that was 4 times as efficient it would take over 10 years to pay for itself as little as we generally have to use our AC. ( it runs about 4 - 7 days a year)

Reply to
clare

Does the weathermaker Infinity not already have a DC fan???

Reply to
clare

Replacing a 94% unit with a 96% won't get you a full credit here.

Reply to
clare

"Rob Kiz" wrote

Invest $100 and have a reliable, honest, heater guy check it out. You won't save from efficiency if you are at 94%, but if there are expensive repairs ahead, it may pay to do it now. At that age, it could dies next week, could go another 10 years. The AC side may be batter replaced now though, if that qualifies.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

How long do heat exchangers last, I think he has one of the aluminum ones, I know it can fail fast if temp is higher than design, but even

21 years to me, just guessing , seems like a long time. Now older steel exchangers are diferent and what would fail and does make a unit junk is a cracked exchanger. Yes he should have the covers pulled and loook at the exchangers condition for signs of its condition
Reply to
ransley

Yes!

If you are going to live in that home the rest of your life, then it is a good thing if you can do something to reduce your cost of living. Once it is paid for, then your monthly expenses will be lower. A good thing!

As to return on your money, etc., seems to me this would be a "sure" investment whereas I know some people who lost upwards of $100,000 in the stock market recently and that is not a "sure" thing.

Then I just read the electric rates in my area are going up 20%. Rate increases in the future seems to be a "sure" thing! (Newer furnaces are more efficient electrically as well.)

96% Furnace...
20 SEER A/C...

Bill

That's well spoken.