Getting cash out of American Home Shield ? Experiences sought

Hi folks-

Some of you have read my ongoing experiences with my central AC unit, and a few have given me great advice.

Now I'm asking a general question, not AC-related, so I'm starting a new thread.

Question: how do I go about getting AHS to cut me a check for whatever amount their hack repairman says the repair cost of my dead AC is? He'll just want to swap the compressor, almost certainly. Various estimates suggest that would cost AHS $500 - $1000.

Fine. What I'd like is to invoke section F, paragraph 12 of the home warranty, which is AHS's option to give me the repair cost and let me go my own way in doing a full system replacement.

The problem is that it's THEIR option to do so, not mine. I'm looking for experiences (success stories, things to avoid), in getting them to do it.

Of course I'd like them to pay for a full replacement, but that's probably not happening, and I'd be happy to cut my losses, get a check for the repair estimate, and go to my own contractor and get a quality pro install.

I can always just ask, but I hear they often say no. I'd like to play this as smartly as possible.

Experiences with home warranty companies appreciated!!

Thanks!

Marc

Reply to
MAG

( Some of Marc's text snipped)

Sigh. Section J. Cancellation: Maryland residents only: This contract may be cancelled by the holder up to the 30th day after the effective date of the contract... after this, the contract is non-cancellable by the holder... And I'm about 40 days into the contract. D'Oh.

AHS has drawn a tough line in the sand on sticking with their own hack contractors recently. I've heard other stories similar to mine. My prefered contractor, when asked if they would intercede with AHS, said sorry, no dice, they were sick of waiting for checks to arrive and for being told to do band aid work.

I will try this, but I expect one of two negative outcomes will happen:

  1. They'll say, sorry, the contract specifies only defective parts will be replaced, the hack contractor says they can fix it by putting a new compressor into a 30 year old system... that's what we are going to pay for. or
  2. If by some chance they agree to replace the whole system -- (LOL)-- it would be done by their own contractors who we know to be bottom of barrel. Based on my last experience with one of their guys, shudder! Maybe the next folks, coming Monday, will be better. So maybe I'm jumping the gun.

So far, the one contractor they sent out didn't do diddley squat except drain freon, probably resulting in the compressor's death. He had no interest in helping out and when I asked him to get on the phone to AHS, he said "My manager says they'd never pay for it." That's why I'm assuming contractor #2 going to be a similar hack. But I could be pleasantly surprised. Maybe contractor #2 will show up on time, be professional, and inspire confidence. But I'm not holding my breath.

CBHVac- thanks for your continued help and support. It is very comforting to me to have folks like you who can give me useful feedback. I'm learning a lot here! Know that your efforts are appreciated.

Expect an update on Monday!!

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Just ask. Tell them that compressor replacement is not an option. Period.

Then, if you get slack, tell them to refund your policy, complete and in full, as you are canceling it and going with another company.

It works wonders.

I wont mention the other companys name, but I had a FAX request come in yesterday...I go look at the unit, and its not that old...it is an ICP, (comapny that makes CArrier) and its got a leaking evap coil....I called, explained that I could not match a coil to it without possible compromise to the compressor, and I could put in a new condensing unit for $XXXX....they agreed to the complete matching system. I am not even on their list for repairs under their warranty, but have done many in the past for them.

Simple...you go armed with these words.

Compressor replacement alone is NOT acceptable.

I have a question.....with AHS, and 2-10 and the like...the homeowner makes ONE call, and the contractor normally takes it from there...why are you fighting for what the contractor should be? Maybe its me, maybe its the area, I dont know, but after the homeowner has called, and I call the warranty company for approval, the homeowner needs to sit back, and relax while WE stay up till midnight trying to get someone to answer...lol

Reply to
CBHvac

You're right. It's their option. They will likely pay you that money only to keep from spending more money fixing it. It's to protect them, not you. You can ask, and maybe they'll cooperate, but if they can fix something cheaper than paying you, guess which one they'll pick?

Reply to
DaveG

True. Really, I'd be happy enough if they paid me whatever it would cost them to fix it. I'm not asking for them to pay more than that. So, instead of for example them paying $600 to the contractor, they pay me that $600 and I add that to $2000 of my own and get a brand new reliable, warranted system.

Sounds reasonable to me, as win-win solution, but I understand that often they won't do this. But sometimes they will.

Any thoughts on language to use to convince them?

Marc

Reply to
MAG

My experience with my POS AHS warranty (which I did not purchase, would never have purchased, and will never purchase: it came with the house) is that there's an automatic $95 contractor house call fee, and $95 to me is not chump change when I'm dealing with a situation that's going to cost me a lot of money anyway, given how little AHS actually pays out. It's a real deterrent to calling AHS, and in my most recent situation, that $95 went toward a $200 shower grout repair that solved my water leak problem (worst case scenario was $4k to rip out bathroom floor tile dating from the 1940s and redo the floor drain system).

Reply to
xymergy

WOW

$95 copay? Ouch!!

Mine is $50 for the service call. $95 is ridiculous!!

Marc

Reply to
MAG

Tell them if it quits again they will have to fix it, but if they hand you $600 now so you can put it a new one they are done with that old POS and will no longer have to warranty it. Make sure they understand that as soon as they pay you, their future warranty obligation on that unit is void so it may very well save them money in the long run.

Reply to
J Kelly

Thanks. I did this a few days ago and it worked, in that they're paying me $554 to "cash me out." It's distressing that they're giving me so little, but I'm at the point where I'm ready to let go. Tomorrow, qualified folks are going to show up and install a brand new 12 SEER unit, and will back it for 5 years parts/labor. Cool air and peace of mind a-comin'!!

Marc

Reply to
MAG
1st of all you have the right to refuse any of there vendors.You are the homeowner and it is against the law for them to make you use anyone.2nd installing an AC can be a safety issue and if you feel there incapable of doing the job safely and properly then you can refuse to use them for safety concerns.3rd if you wish to cash out and the repairs are over the cost of the cash out demand then they must cash you out.Tell them you want a cash out NOW or you will involve your attorney and they will cash you out.
Reply to
1MANSHO

replying to MAG, Audreynandy wrote: Yep. They said to us the same thing you said in your first guess. Ours was the

24 year old evaporator coil.
Reply to
Audreynandy

replying to MAG, Staceyd wrote: I am dealing with AHS for the 3rd yr in a row for the same exact AC unit. It drains every year they have sent several people out here each year it has cost me $660 just for freon not including the $75 service fee. They want to offer me a cash out but I have to get the work done and submit the receipts to AHS before they will cut me a check they deem reasonable. My AC unit is only 6 years old and each time they come to repair it they tell me they cannot find the parts to match my unit. Last year it took them almost two months to repair my unit was not done until late September

Reply to
Staceyd

14 yeas later, the OP is getting ready for summer again and has invested twice the cost of a new unit so far.

Home warranty companies are in business to make money, not to help the homeowner. Much better is to put the money in the bank

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Reply to
meetujattana

replying to CBHvac, Connie wrote: They wanted to change my compressor, fan motor, actuator and put new type Freon in old system. I said not acceptable and they said only choice I have is cash out. They were going to charge me over 500 for new Freon. They refuse to replace

Reply to
Connie

Another example of why it is foolish to have this warranty. AHS is in business to make money, not to help you. Put those premiums in a savings account and over the years you can just pay cash for proper repairs.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Tue, 14 Nov 2017 21:03:29 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote in

+1
Reply to
CRNG

Given that bank savings account interest rates are so pathetically low that you won't even stay ahead of inflation, plunk the dough in the stock market instead.

One of the well managed, low cost index mutual funds like the Dow Jones or S&P 500 from a major investment firm like Fidelity Investments or Vanguard, etc. will do you fine.

Reply to
Wade Garrett

Or stuff it under the mattress, IMO even that is way better than sending it to one of the warranty companies. When something breaks, you determine who fixes it, whether you fix the old one or get a new one, get a new one that is better, has more features, etc.

Reply to
trader_4

replying to MAG, Connie wrote: We had to replace our own unit after paying home warranty since 2012. American homeshiwld is a scam!

Reply to
Connie