Cash out of American Home Shield.

So the other day our central air stops cooling. Not entirely but it refuses to cool under 81. We call AHS, our second year with them. First claim. They schedule a repairman. He shows up last night. Goes into the attic. Tells us it is frozen..ice. Turn off the AC. We do.

He then goes outside and says it will be 1800 for a new coil. Now, during this time he bashes AHS and how they screw people over all of the time. He also tells us he cannot look at the unit because of the ice. He would have to come back today.

I get home from work. My phone rings. It is his company asking me if I have heard from AHS yet. I said no...which I haven't.

She says well your coil replacement has been ok'd. It will be 1850 out of your pocket. I said no thank you. Googled how much a coil replacement should be. 1400 max even with an obscure coil.

I call AHS, tell the non english speaking man what is going on. He didn't seem to fully understand what I was saying.

At some point he then starts rambling prices to me, what it will cost to replace each piece of our unit that they need to replace. At which time I interrupted him and asked him how he knew what was wrong with our unit since it still hasn't been looked at? Only the too lazy repairman to do his job was here. He was in our house less than 5 minutes had no tools with him..and flat out told us he could not do an assessment because of the ice. Yet somehow he expertly diagnosed it. How can that be?

Anyway so that leads me to today. The non english speaking man said something about a cash out. I asked what that meant. He did not respond. He then offered me the option of sending out another repairman but...I'd be on the hook for the hundred dollar service fee if they diagnosed the same thing.

I chose to accept that even though I should not have to pay another hundred, because the first guy they sent out was too lazy to do his job.

However, IF he actually diagnoses the same thing. I'd like to opt for the cash out. We are not going to repair our old AC unit as it is 20 years old and we inherited it with the house. Hence the reason for the home warranty in the first place. If we can repair it cheaply for a year or so. Sure. If it is a 2000 dollar bill no chance. We will simply put a new unit in. I thought home warranties were supposed to help out with the cost. Not charge full retail and then some. What is the purpose for a home warranty?

Reply to
Gloria A

Usually when a coil has ice on it, the refrigerent is low. Some will leak out very slow. It should be charged, leak tested and make sure the air filter is clean. Then if no leak is found see how long it takes to quit or ice up again. If a year or two it is a very slow leak. If a week or month then the repair man should be able to find the leak. They have testers for that.

Most of those home warrenties are worthless as you are going to find out.

If it is 20 years old, you are probably better off replacing it if the repair cost is very much.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

The purpose is for the home warranty company to make as much profit as possible, silly goose.

Reply to
trader_4

Agree. It;s very interesting that they are ready to replace the coil without doing a diagnosis to find out what's actually wrong. I guess it could usually be the evap coil, but certainly possible there is a leak somewhere else and without a proper diagnosis they can't know. Big lesson here is it's another example of why not to buy a home warranty contract. Next lesson will be when she finds out the cash out amount. For sure if it is a leaking evap or condenser coil or similar, not worth repairing it on a 20 year old unit. A new unit will be more efficient and save some significant energy cost.

Reply to
trader_4

How does he know it's the evaporator or condenser coil?   Did he show you the area of the leak with a leak detector?  Maybe the refrigerant is leaking from a $2 Schroeder valve?

Or maybe it's just a dirty air filter?  Or maybe you have an attic full of flex-duct that has sagged over time and is now restricting air flow?  Or maybe the blower motor was not running?

Reply to
Joe

He knows nothing. He went up into the attic. Took photos of the ice. Came down and told us to turn it off. Then told us he could not diagnose it because of the ice. He would have to come back today. However, he then says..you need a new coil. It will be 1800 for your part.

We know it is not worth it to replace the coil, but they should at least diagnose it. Which he did nothing at all but take photos. He went up with nothing but his phone in his hand.

It was still cooling. Just not as cool as we wanted it to. So, it cannot be totally out of freon..common sense tells us that. I got into the argument with the home warranty people when they were attempting to tell me what is wrong with the air and why it would cost us so much to fix it. When I asked..how he knows this when they haven't even bothered to look at it yet. They told me I had the option to have another person out to look at it. If they came up with the same diagnosis I'd have to pay another 100. I figure I'm gambling with that. Although, even if they do at least I will know we need a new unit. Right now we know nothing. I can then do the cash out thing. It will pay for part of a new unit.

I just don't know how the cash out thing works.

Reply to
Gloria A

Maybe an independent heating and air guy would be good to talk with. Your independent guy would have the expertise to deal with the home warranty people.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Right, but it is probably low and has a leak. The leaks has to be found. It may or may not be the coil.

Low freon will cause a freeze-up and then the ice blocks the air to make it even worse.

I don't either but take the money and run. They are in business to make money, not to help you. At 20 years, a new AC will work better and run far more efficiently.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Agree (Problem likely is a lack of working fluid.)

Your problem will be finding compatible replacement fluid. Units that old used 'freon', which is no longer legal to sell. (It is 'heavily controlled, i.e. you can buy it if the system is inspected, blah blah, depending on where you live, blah.)

Better to buy a completely new system that uses a working fluid that does not damage the ozone hole.

Reply to
Mike_Duffy

At a time like that, it might be a good idea to make up an excuse -- the doorbell is ringing -- and call back when you will probably get someone different. Not that he'll speak English better or that he will explain more even if he does, but there's a chance.

Reply to
micky

They give you some amount that they determine and you pay for your new one. How little that is will be the next surprise. What does your contract say about the sharing of the cost of repairs? It's pretty bad when you need a common repair and they tell you your share is $1800. A n evaporator coil is about $600, plus freon and labor. Seems $1800 is the total cost. And no one knows if that is the problem, just saying if it is, sounds like you're getting hosed.

Reply to
trader_4

labor. Seems $1800 is the total cost. And no one knows if that is the problem, just saying if it is, sounds like you're getting hosed.

I bought a house that was about 15 years old about 15 years ago. They tried to sell me a warrenty. I read the fine print and it looked like by the time I paid the deductable and other charges I was not getting anything out of them at all.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Yah, and it gets worse.  Some home warranty companies use jack-leg hacks to perform repairs so you wind up paying top dollar for a half-ass repair.

Reply to
devnull

On Wed, 26 Jun 2019 14:53:36 -0700 (PDT), Gloria A snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com

Scam the homeowner.

Reply to
CRNG

I have hesitated to post but I think the thread is winding down so this is my last chance.

I have a friend who, afaict, has gotten several major appliances replaced on her after-market home warranty.

The trouble is, I'm always reluctant to ask her for details. I guess I could ask what company she uses and let her take it from there. Next time I talk to her.

Reply to
micky

Would be interesting to hear. I like to choose my appliances and not have a warranty company do so. Not sure how all of that works.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

That's another good question. Okay, I'll call her. I'm not in the mood to call anyone right now, unfortunately. I just want to commune with the net. But I'll make an effort.

Reply to
micky