radon mitigation system

I recently installed a new sump pump in my basement and also a radon mitigation system. The radon pipe that vents thru the basement wall to the outside is about 6 or 7 feet away from the sump pump. The sump pump is sealed. The radon fan is outside. The exterior radon pipe is not capped.

It's been raining pretty heavily. I hear gurgling sounds in the radon pipe. The meter on the radon pipe appears the same as always.

I noticed the concrete floor is a little wet around the sump pump. Is the sump pump not working as it should, causing the radon system to be sucking water instead of radon gas?

I hate to get caught between the sump pump company and the radon company as to whose \"owns\" the problem - if it is a problem?

thanks diadkinson

Reply to
diadkinson

Actually a cap on top of the radon pipe will encourage problems. Birds & insects won't nest in the pipe if it is exposed just like they won't nest in a sewer vent pipe with no cap.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

There should be either some sort of rain cap, or a tiny pinhole where the pipe goes from vertical to horizontal to drain any rain that does get into the vertical pipe. I can't believe the fan is strong enough to raise water from the basement sump up to the level of the fan.

Reply to
hrhofmann

House I rented years ago had a drier in the basement vented at ground level. Rabbit crawled in and died but we did not know this is what stopped the drier from working and by the time the repairman came drier was full of maggots. He cleaned it out but odor would not leave. We were moving in a few weeks so I don't know what owner did.

Reply to
Frank

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011 17:07:21 +0000, diadkinson_at_yahoo_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (diadkinson) wrote Re radon mitigation system:

It's a possibility worth checking into more closely.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

I would start by calling the radon guy to ask about the gurgling. Are the two systems connected, or just adjacent? It's pretty normal to connect the radon pipe to the drain tile, but do you have drain tile or just a sump pit? Is the sump pump working ok? When you say sealed, you should normally to remove the lid fairly easily or at least remove the bung where the power cable enters, so allow you to see what's going on in there. Whenever I've had one installed I've tested it myself by pouring water into the pit to make sure the pump does its job. Maybe this would give you some insight into the damp patches.

You don't tend to see caps over the radon outlet. I thought this was odd at first, but when I felt the force of the air blasting out the top of the pipe I realized that no rain water was going to get in there (nor for that matter any kind of creature)

Reply to
cubby

Thanks to all who replied. I have both companies coming out to see what needs to be done.

Reply to
diadkinson

Hello! I am having a similar problem, diadkinson. What was your solution? What ended up happening? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks! Sara

Reply to
bracken.sarak

You just replied to a thread that started Feb 2011, and ended March 1, 2011.

Who knows, diadkinson might still be around.

You appear to be a Google Groups user. Alt.home.repair is a Usenet group. On Usenet, we include the text of the message we are replying to. (As I just did.) That way we can tell what your are referring to.

Reply to
Dan Espen

Well,what problem ???

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sigh. Another Google Groper.

Crawling around in the dark, groping.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

not all of us are clueless though Mark

Reply to
makolber

Sorry, but no. Diadkinson was diagnosed with radiation poison and is now captive, powering a nuclear generation plant in Africa. He has a half life of 25 more years.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I heard from my cousin Mavis, who heard it at the hair dresser, who heard it from her son who works for the CIA that Diadkinson was captured by the Iranians, who have been centrifuging him to make weapons grade Diadkinson.

They plan to drop him over the Jewish section of Jerusalem, and start the next world war.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon