Can I open sump pump with sealed radon mitigation system?

I purchased a house with working sump pump/radon mitigation system. I was concerned if the sump pump was working. I unplugged both plugs and just plugged in the pump and it worked. However since its sealed shut for the radon mitigation system, I didn't know if it was possible to remove the lid to test the arm that goes up and down to tell it to run. I checked this morning after the rain and there was some water on top sump pump lid. Is it there a procedure to remove the lid and break the seal of the radon mitigation system or should I just hire a plumber?

Reply to
OldManJ

Are you talking about a seal that's there to physically keep radon gas from escaping, eg silicone or similar? Or a seal that's intended to keep someone like you out? Neither would present a challenge for me. You just need a sealing material to keep the radon gas from getting by. Whatever is there, if it's rubber or similar intended to be re-used you're fine. If it looks like it needs to be replaced, replace it or if there is silicone around a pipe coming out, you can reseal with that again.

Reply to
trader_4

You plugged in the pump. Wasn't it plugged in before?

What did you unplug? A separate device that switches on the power to the pump? that plugs into the receptacle and the pump plugs into its plug??? If so, you should know that not all sump pumps are arranged liek that so you should be more clear.

Can you go down there when it's raining and see if you hear the pump.

BTW, there is a delay between the rain falling and it seeping through the ground into the sump. Though maybe only 10 minutes.

How could that happen? Are you saying the sump filled to the top and water leaked out and got on the lid? How come none got on the floor? Is the lid lower than the floor?

Is it there a

My impression, based on nothing, was that a lot of houses had sealed systems even though no radon had been found. Is that true? On the theory that the sump was a possible entry point for radon so they should seal it. It would be good to know if the sump is releasing radon or not. When I bought this house 33 years ago, the theory was that it was bad to spend time in the basement when there was radon, but that the first floor had a lot more ventilation. Certainly in the summer you can open the windows and air out any radon you let leak out of the sump, and 2 hours of leakage is a pittance anyhow.

They sell radon testers that have to sit there for 7 days iirc and then you send it in somewhere and they write back to you whether you have colon cancer. .... Hmm. Now I'm not sure what that letter meant.

Reply to
micky