Miter versus Chop Saw

Can I use my 10" compound miter saw to cut ferrous metal? Abrasive chop saw wheels have the same arbor size (5/8") and similar speeds (3900 - 5000 rpm). My saw is rated at 15 amps and runs 4800 rpm. If not, please explain why. Thanks!

Reply to
G. Grant

calhoun

No experience myself, but I know it has been done. You have to remove the dust collecting bag and clean up the sawdust so the sparks of cutting do not start a fire. You have to clean up well going the other way so the metal fragments do not get into the wood. Miter saws often have plastic parts. like blade guards, than can be damaged by the sparks and metal fragments also.

Seems like a lot of trouble for one or two cuts, seems like a PITA if you do a lot of cutting considering the low cost of a dedicated saw. .

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski