Blew Out/Burnt Up My Miter Saw - Suggestions Wanted

I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.
http://i.imgur.com/3iiOh0i.jpg
The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.
Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.
In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no other place to put the saw.
I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.
If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes a decent fixed 10" CMS?
As always, thanks for your expert advice.
On 1/13/2017 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Luck you! I learned that my Delta MS, somewhere of that vintage, has pot metal adjustment levers. Accidentally pushing the tilt lever the wrong way to loosen resulted in a shorter lever. ;~(
Time for better brand saws. ;~)

Look at the articulating arm Bosch. Requires virtually no room on the back side for a slider.

OK, nix the Bosch. ;~(

I would look at Makita for quality.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 11:38:45 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

When I was building Derby cars I cut a lot of 3/4 steel rod and 1/2" steel plates on the saw. I don't know if I bent the fence or if it had always been that way but a few years ago I noticed that I could only align the blade to one side of the fence or the other.
I found a local machine shop and for the price of coffee for the guys in the tool area, they milled the face perfectly flat for me.

$549, but it's gotten 2 votes already. Maybe I should go for it.

So, Bosch slider for space, Makita for quality?
Does that mean I'm giving up some quality to gain the sliding feature?
On 1/13/2017 11:58 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Mine was a 12 CMS SawBuck, with out the stand IIRC. There were all kinds of things wrong with that saw that are more evident today than back then. Today's saws seem to be much more refined. My guard detractor broke at least 3 times, thank you JB Weld for the fix each time. The detents filled with saw dust and would not click into position. Horribly loud when coming to a stop. Really bad dust collection and apparently a lot of pot metal.

I understand it to be a great saw but not great on dust collection. BUT IIRC only the Festool has great dust collection and that is certainly not worth another $900 on top of that. ;~)

I doubt you would find much difference in quality, comparing like saws, from Bosch and Makita. And Hitachi might be worth a look if you do not mind the "Transformers" look. ;~)
And like anything else, brand does not guarantee the same quality on all like products with in the brand.
On Friday, January 13, 2017 at 12:41:31 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

$549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.
On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen. I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)
On 1/13/2017 11:52 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

And a quick comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v
yTHsc5TBg
In article <0ad843b5-4310-4b8e-8d5a-2745afd33ec3

Show her a Kapex and let her talk you down to the crummy old Bosch. But read the reviews very carefully--that particular model seems to have at one time had a few problems--don't know if they've been resolved.
On 1/15/2017 8:28 AM, J. Clarke wrote:

LOL, There you go!
But read the reviews very

I heard it was the first version that may have had issues. The 2.0/next version apparently resolved those issues. I would imagine if you buy one from a place that had decent inventory turnover you will get the later version.
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 10:30:57 AM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Amazon?
Or:
How would I know which version I will have received from Amazon on 1/17? I guess I could call Bosch once I have the serial number.
On 1/15/2017 10:24 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Amazon if stocked by Amazon, if from one of many suppliers, maybe not.

Yes, Bosch could tell you and it is likely that it is not going to be a problem with the 10" model. That model is relatively new compared to the 12" model. You remember the link I provided showing a refurbished 12" from CPO? That may be one of the early ones.
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 1:43:11 PM UTC-5, Leon wrote:

Does "fulfilled by Amazon" mean "stocked by Amazon"?
I bought it with a prime account and am getting "guaranteed 2 day free delivery". I don't see how they could make that claim unless they stocked it.
Of course, based I what I've been reading in the Sears thread, I probably don't know anything about retail/on-line/any kind of business. I may be just tilting at windmills. ;-)

We'll see...I'll call.
On 1/15/2017 4:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It means the merchandise is owned by the seller but is sitting in the Amazon warehouse. Amazon will pack and ship the order to you, pay the seller less a fee for shipping and handling that they agreed on.

This link (Amazon.com product link shortened)
Says "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com."
"fulfilled by Amazon" is nowhere on the page.

On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 5:00:52 PM UTC-5, Spalted Walt wrote:

I called Amazon Customer Service to find out about return shipping fees. I was told by 3 different CSR's that the order would be "fulfilled by Amazon", which is one of the criteria to qualify for a pre-paid return shipping label.
Another criteria is the reason for the return. I was told by 2 reps that if I called them, as opposed to notifying them via the website, and said that the item does meet my expectations, they would issue a pre-paid return shipping level.
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 6:07:17 PM UTC-5, DerbyDad03 wrote:

*label
On 1/15/2017 3:15 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote: Snip

I believe that is true.

Probably not.
On Sunday, January 15, 2017 at 9:28:29 AM UTC-5, J. Clarke wrote:

When I was a teenager I had female friend with very strict parents. They had a rule about "going steady". Strictly forbidden.
One day she came home from school and told her parents "Mom, Dad, umm...I'm really sorry. I'm pregnant." After a few minutes of "What!"s and "Oh my God!"s she laughed and said "I'm kidding! Bobby and I are just going steady."
"Oh, good. Thank God! Don't ever do that to us again."
:-)
On 1/15/2017 10:30 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Um huh,... That is what she told YOU! LOL

On Sun, 15 Jan 2017 09:28:24 -0500, "J. Clarke"

According to the GOF, the Kapex has had its problems, too. I haven't read the thread for a while but it seems that green wasn't doing anything about it, either.