Blew Out/Burnt Up My Miter Saw - Suggestions Wanted

I was using my 15 YO Delta miter saw last night when the end cap of the motor housing blew off and landed about a foot from the saw.

The saw seemed to still be working so I made a few more cuts. That's when I noticed a burning smell from the motor housing. That's also when I noticed a wavy washer (spring washer?) on the floor of the shop. The washer fits into a recess in the center of the end cap so that it would be positioned right on the bearing seen in the image.

Little did I know that the plastic end cap actually held the motor in place. Once ithe end cap blew off, the motor appears to have shifted outward. I assume that the partially meshed gears at the blade end of the motor is what caused the burning smell.

In any case, the saw has had a good (and rough) life, so I think I'd rather go with a replace as opposed to a repair. I'd like to get a 10" sliding CMS with a laser guide. However, my biggest issue is the size of my shop. I don't know that I have room for a sliding saw since they are deeper than my current saw. As it is, the Delta just fits on a narrow workbench that runs along the side of my shop. That side is the long dimension and there really is no other place to put the saw.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what to buy. Are there sliding miters that aren't as deep as others? I don't have a particular price point in mind other than I don't think I need a $300+ saw for the types of projects I build.

If a sliding miter is out of the question due to the shop size limitations, who makes a decent fixed 10" CMS?

As always, thanks for your expert advice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Luck you! I learned that my Delta MS, somewhere of that vintage, has pot metal adjustment levers. Accidentally pushing the tilt lever the wrong way to loosen resulted in a shorter lever. ;~(

Time for better brand saws. ;~)

Look at the articulating arm Bosch. Requires virtually no room on the back side for a slider.

OK, nix the Bosch. ;~(

I would look at Makita for quality.

Reply to
Leon

Bosch 10" SCMS:

Spalted Walt

$549! SWMBO knows I need a new saw, but she might balk at that price.

On the other hand, she does want built in bookshelves for the kitchen. I could tell her I need the slider for the 1 x 2 face frames. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When I was building Derby cars I cut a lot of 3/4 steel rod and 1/2" steel plates on the saw. I don't know if I bent the fence or if it had always been that way but a few years ago I noticed that I could only align the blade to one side of the fence or the other.

I found a local machine shop and for the price of coffee for the guys in the tool area, they milled the face perfectly flat for me.

$549, but it's gotten 2 votes already. Maybe I should go for it.

So, Bosch slider for space, Makita for quality?

Does that mean I'm giving up some quality to gain the sliding feature?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Mine was a 12 CMS SawBuck, with out the stand IIRC. There were all kinds of things wrong with that saw that are more evident today than back then. Today's saws seem to be much more refined. My guard detractor broke at least 3 times, thank you JB Weld for the fix each time. The detents filled with saw dust and would not click into position. Horribly loud when coming to a stop. Really bad dust collection and apparently a lot of pot metal.

I understand it to be a great saw but not great on dust collection. BUT IIRC only the Festool has great dust collection and that is certainly not worth another $900 on top of that. ;~)

I doubt you would find much difference in quality, comparing like saws, from Bosch and Makita. And Hitachi might be worth a look if you do not mind the "Transformers" look. ;~)

And like anything else, brand does not guarantee the same quality on all like products with in the brand.

Reply to
Leon

Maybe check this out... can't hurt -

He doesn't say what brand/model it is. I'd ask how it got broken!

If the saw IS new, there may be some warranty remaining and can get it repaired or replaced, if it's a reasonable name brand of saw in the first place.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

And if you don't mind Refurbished, for $30 more than the Amazon Prime price you can get the 12" version of the Bosch from CPO.

Leon

I may check it out, but I don't need a 12" saw nor do I think it will fit within the confines of my shop.

Thanks, though.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

And a quick comparison.

Leon

Thanks, but I certainly don't need a 12" saw, new blades, etc.

2 things I noticed about the Bosch 10" SCMS: 1 - No laser. I've lived without one for 15 years. Should that be a major factor in my decision? 2 - 64 lbs! I often take my saw out to the picnic table when I need more room or have a ton of cuts to make or if it's an outdoor project. 64lbs is a lot of saw to lug around.

But damn, it sure looks like a nice saw and at 23" I don't think it's any deeper than the Delta.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Check out the DeWalt 713. I have used mine for about 20+ years on the job and it has made >>literally

Reply to
nailshooter41

I think a laser would be good IF it works well. I have seen lasers that help if you are blind but not accurate. I simply do not trust lasers for accurate alignment.

Yes but that is why it apparently stays set up well.

We since we are helping you spend your money.....

This is the first stand that I think I would like.

And why I like it.

Leon

It's one of those thing that, after you get it, you think, "How did I ever live without this!?"

The two lasers on my Delta are easily adjustable and align to both sides of the kerf. When I adjust them to DNOA (dead-nuts-on-accurate) the feature is probably the best part of the saw. I don't ever have to bring the blade down to the line to double-check where the cut will be. I see the laser on the line (or just adjacent to it, depending on preference), hit the switch and pull the saw down. Perfect every time.

Reply to
-MIKE-

DerbyDad03 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

*snip*
*snip*

No, I don't think so. My saw had a laser, it's a defocused piece of junk now and doesn't even slow me down. I just check where the blade tooth hits the board and make my cut. It's going to be the blade teeth making the cut anyway, you can't get more precise feedback than that.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Nice stand. Now I'm up to $900 for that $300 saw I was looking for.

What else you got? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

When my old saw died, I got a reconditioned 12 inch Ridgid non slider. I like the 12 incher for cutting larger timber. The laser on it is useless to me. One downside: The aluminum fence bowed. Easy to fix. I glued 1/2" boards on each side and took the fence off and trued it on the jointer. came with a clamp to hold a wood stop for repeat cuts of the same length. I really like the angle adjustment and it has a good dust collection. It never leaves the shop. It is mounted in a lowered section of the long work table on the side of my shop so the wood to be cut lies on the worktable and the saw.

Reply to
G. Ross

Maybe I'll buy the saw from Zoro.

$549 on Amazon $945 from Zoro

DerbyDad03

$549 at Lowes

Spalted Walt

DerbyDad03 wrote in news:c27f0b20-842f-4834-8a6c- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Bosch has both 10" and 12" saws that use a heavy-duty double hinge, instead of sliding bars. And I recently saw a 10" Hitachi that has the sliding bars in front, instead of behind.

Reply to
Doug Miller