Burnt out the table saw motor; replace or upgrade time?

The 1 HP motor to my craftsman tablesaw burnt out yesterday while ripping a piece of 2" oak. The motor bogged down and died once, but started up again. Then when making another cut it died for good. So now I ponder what to do. I only paid $100 for the saw. I recently posted about the thoughts on upgrading the fence for the saw, which I would still like to do seeing as the stock one sucsk. And it raised the same issue; do I put any more money into the saw or go ahead and upgrade. My long term plan was to use the saw for another year or so and them get a used cabinet saw. While I'd love an excuse to get a new saw, I had planned on first rounding out the shop with a Bandsaw, jointer, and maybe a planer. Thoughts? If anyone knows a good source for replacement motors let me know. I'm in SE Flordia so local places would be good too.

Reply to
slindars

Wilson Lamb

The craftsman table saws I'm familiar with use a pretty generic motor. You can probably find a 1 1/2 hp that will fit in the space. Got to be a local place that sells overstock and surplus motors. 1 - 1 1/2 hp are in the prime range to be available cheap.

bob g.

Wils> Are you sure the overload is not tripped?

Reply to
Robert Galloway

There are 2 local shops that rebuild motors.

I have found that I could have them rebuilt for less then 1/3 the price of a new one......

I would let my fingers walk thru the yellow pages and see what some of the electrical shops charge for a rebuild.....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Reply to
Sean Dinh

Reply to
Sean Dinh

I went thru same issue a few months ago, and altho nobody locally (in NW CT) seemed to bother with rebuilding single phase motors, I was able to upgrade to a US-made 2hp motor for less than $200 from a local supplier. Never bogs down even cutting 4/4 rock maple etc. Be sure you match your shaft diamater(probably 5/8") and get a manual reset, not an automatic reset. A local shop tried to sell me an auto reset which would be a huge problem for a TS application, for obvious reasons.

Reply to
John S

Time to get a real saw. The direct drive motor is really not worth putting money into if you look at the value of the saw in total. Now is the time to upgrade to a contractor saw.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
Sean Dinh