Replace a bathroom exhaust motor

i need to replace the motor on my bathroom fan. the brand name of the fan is Aira which search of the internet reveals nothing.
in seeking a replacment motor can i just look for a similar motor with shaft lenght and diameter (so the blade fits correctly)?? or is it critical to also look at the RPM and current ratings?
unfortunately taking out the fan assembly to put in a new fan is not an option i can undertake
my fan motor ratings are (and if anyone knows of a suitable replacement i appreciate your providing that as well)
Model VSB-P90A CCW Stack = 0.85in Shaft = 0.25in diameter Shaft = 1.75in lenth

RPM = 2000 1.27Amps

Yes, you could; you have ample information to compare electrically to a replacement motor too. The rpm is probably a no-load rpm, so make sure you compare apples and oranges, but the current can be higher within reason. If you get a choice between continuous duty and short cycle duty go for the continuous; it'll last longer. Make sure rotation is the same direction since you already have the fan blade. Go for the no-oil/maintenance type, "Class 2" or "Class II" if possible (same thing, they just label it differently). It means it doesn't rely on an earth ground for safety even though you still want to use an earth ground if any metal parts are exposed in any way whatsoever.
Depending on where you live you could probably call a few fix-it shops and luck out rather easily finding a motor that'd work. I've got a garage half full of probably suitable motors, but I can tell from your posting you're nowhere near me.
I have to wonder though; it's probably *much* easier to just pull out the old and slip in a brand new one than to frog around replacing the motor and any jury rigs it might require. Why can't you just replace it? It'd be a lot less work in the end. And faster to get done. Nutone makes some handy ones for easy installs; can't think of the others right now.
Whatever you do, be certain the Earth Gnd connections are tight and proper when you're done.
Your main problem will be:
A replacement motor will cost you about as much as an entire new unit.

DA had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Replace-a-bathroom-exhaust-motor-280697-.htm :
dar wrote:

I would replace the entire fan assembly. A simpler one can be picked up for $20 or $40 if you want it quieter. If you measure it carefully and get lucky, you might find one that fits the existing frame. Otherwise install the one that comes in the package.
Attaching the fan to the motor's shaft without disturbing the fan's balance sounds like an impossible task and an off-balance fan's noise can make you miserable real fast.
End of my 2c. \\//. -------------------------------------
##-----------------------------------------------## Delivered via http://www.thestuccocompany.com/ Building Construction and Maintenance Forum Web and RSS access to your favorite newsgroup - alt.home.repair - 266486 messages and counting! ##-----------------------------------------------##
replying to DA, imhk wrote: This is an old thread and the answer may not be of much help to the original poster. Nevertheless, it may be of interest to others at time of need.
I live in Toronto, Canada. I ran into similar trouble when the fan in one of my washroom died. It was an AIRA VSB-X50. There was no replacement available in HOME DEPOT, LOWES or RONA to fit the original size. I got a suppossedly compatibale NUTONE unit at HOME HARDWARE but eventually found out that it did not fit. In the mean time, I was able to remove the original fan-motor assembly. When I went to return the NUTONE unit at the local outlet of HOME HARDWARE, I had the original dead item with me. The salesman took notice of that and suggested that he can give me exactly that. Some of the stuff they carry are not always listed online. The item he gave me is a nameless generic stuff but identical to the original thing. Eventually I found out another location where replacement fan-motor assemblies of AIRA VSB models are available. Depending on where you live, there might be some home improvement or hardware store which will carry the replacement. You probably need to keep looking for it.

On Saturday, November 8, 2014 at 10:44:06 PM UTC-5, imhk wrote:

I live in Brampton and am looking for AIRA VSB-X90 ,Can you tell me where to find the replacement ?
thanks
replying to imhk, Alan Wilson wrote:

I also live in Toronto and have the same fan problem - can you recall where the "another location" was?
Oren posted for all of us...

That is a turdy area that even smells turdy. The turdy smell forced the company to move. Let him follow his nose. Remember, when it gets turdy you can't pick it up by the clean end.
--
Tekkie

*Try giving Broan-Nutone a call (Broan.com, on the Parts page is a toll fre e number). I can't remember the brand, but a few years ago I needed a repla cement motor for an odd brand and they had it, but it wasn't listed on thei r web site. The fan had a plastic housing instead of the usual metal can.
Another possibility is Grainger. They sell generic replacement motors.
As others have mentioned, you could remove the motor and take it somewhere that stock replacements and try and match it up.
I always get a new fan impeller blade as the old ones can be a PITA to remo ve and sometimes break in the process.
If it comes down to replacing the entire unit, go with Panasonic. Their fa ns are the only ones that are made for retrofitting though it is still a bi t of a challenge.
John Grabowski http://www.MrElectrician.TV
Yes, Grainger has a huge selection of motors. Match up the specs and determine whether you need clockwise or counterclockwise rotation.
| | I live in Toronto, Canada. I ran into similar trouble when the fan in one | of my washroom died. It was an AIRA VSB-X50. There was no replacement | available in HOME DEPOT, LOWES or RONA to fit the original size.
I've ordered an exact replacement motor online for a Nutone. Unfortunately, it was as expensive as a new fan and took some time to get. So it's a tradeoff: The hassle and expense of a replacement fan or the ceiling repair required to just repace the whole thing. The former is usually less expensive overall, but with the latter you also get a nice, new cover and lens. In any case, I think just about any part can be found online these days. It just may not be easy to find the part you need for cheap.
On Sunday, November 9, 2014 at 9:32:09 AM UTC-5, Mayayana wrote:

next time go to 181-b rexdale is call inventex kipling&rexdade yo enter by rexdale they have everything and also retrofit anything
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Tried Amre supply house? They have on-line catalog.

On Sun, 9 Nov 2014 06:17:14 -0800 (PST), John G

I seem to have missed this post, so i have to reply here. I used to miss quite a few, but with Eternal September, I've missed only one other afaik, just a few weeks ago.
Anyhow, I think a good source for a matching motor is to buy another fan and take its motor out. The guy who sold me the house, built in 1979, saved all the paperwork, including the "instructions" for the bathroom fan, but it's in a file cabinet and I don't remember what brand it is. But the motor unplugs electrically, just like a lamp and uses two screws to be mounted, and they are shaded pole motors available in lots of places, (just one size bigger than what I needed for the antique fan we discussed here a couple years ago, but no one sells the smaller size.)
I'm not saying that's the kind of motor you have but I am saying there might be one just like it in another bathroom fan, and for about the same money The motor will probably spin the same direction, but if it doesn't you can use the blade that came with it, same with the shaft diameter and its blade.

On 11/9/2014 8:53 AM, micky wrote:

mine had a bladed fan. Replaced it with the fan/blade assembly from a centrifugal fan unit. Had to drill a new mounting hole to get it to fit the bracket in the existing housing.
Take the fan assembly to home depot and ask them to find you a unit with a similar one. Pay close attention to the thickness. Newer quieter fans may be too thick to fit the existing box...or offset so the blade hits the box when mounted.

A squirrel cage? They are quieter. I like quiet.
I just unplugged two of my fans and put a switch in the 3rd one. I never take steamy showers, unless I'm trying to humidify the house. Maybe the OP doesn't really need his fan. ;-)
Mayayana posted for all of us...

I thought that Nutone/Broan has a lifetime warranty on their stuff. Is this correct?
--
Tekkie

grainger USED sell only to businesses, but recently i was in a different grainger and they asked if I was a business account. mine is
they closed my local branch,
I was busy or would of asked them if they no longer required being a business to buy there.
a word to the wise about grainger.
they own a onlline company called zoro. the packaging part numbers and merchandise are identical. but the pices are dramatically better