Can I get a timer motor?

My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer. I checked and that small timer motor no longer works, and it is getting power. They dont sell these motors separately, and for what they want to replace the whole timer, I may as well get a new washer. I forced the gears and the motor is not locked up. I suppose the coils inside just fried. Is there anyplace that sells these small motors? The rest of the timer always worked fine. In the meantime I will try to find a junked machine. I know they all have these small motors, but if they are interchangable is the question.

I wonder if motor rebuilders rebuild these tiny motors? We have one nearby, but I have a feeling they just say to replace them.

Greg

Reply to
ggriffin2

I'd try Radio Shack, in store and online.

Clark

Reply to
Clark

Griffin,

Look in the phonebook for electric motor. A city of any size should have a bunch of electric motor stores. These places can order lots of motors. They also repair larger motors. They can repair your motor but that will be really expensive so just ask for a replacement. Expect to be shocked by the price but it will be cheaper than a new washer.

Dave M.

Reply to
David Martel

on 7/28/2007 5:59 PM snipped-for-privacy@noemail.com said the following:

Check with appliance 114, a frequent contributer in this community. Find your model number beforehand.

willshak

Greg,

the motors used > My older Maytag washing machine suddenly stopped advancing the timer.

Reply to
noname87

Did you check with an ohm meter, to see if the circuit is open?

The timer on my very old Whirlpool would jam at certain spots in the cycle. Same deal, $75 for another timer. My usual parts house didn't even have them. An Ebay seller had them. I took the timer apart, cleaned it with brake cleaner, reoiled it, and it's worked since then. That was at least two years ago.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It might be an AW Hayden (clock) motor (many companies made motors that will fit the same mounting holes)

should be marked with ratings like 115VAC 60Hz (few)watts what you need to find is one with the same RPM or RPH and CW or CCW.

Some models, you can unfold the tabs at the gear train, and swap the coil/rotor assembly. The basic motor runs at the same speed on all of them, shaft speed and direction is determined by the gears in the offset box under the coil/rotor. The rotor/coil/cage are spot welded on most I've seen, making a swap or rewind difficult.

Try recyclers for one in a junked appliance. they are very hard to find these days since everything is now microproccesor based. My folks had a dryer timer that went bad, best I could do was a motor that was 2/3 the speed. A little tape to "rescale" the marking at the knob worked fine, but a year later the dryer drum shaft broke loose. After 34 years, it was just time for a new one ;-)

-larry / dallas

Reply to
larry

Well, you might look at the recycling places where they take appliances. They don't generally want people stripping them, but if you find one when it is quiet, and you promise not to make a mess and tip the guy who is watching, maybe. Does it work to bring a pretty girl, or is that only in the movies? I don't if all states hve these. I also wish I knew where they took them.

I saw a stove just like mine on the street and took the knobs and the oven handle and maybe some other stuff, but I was in a hurry to get to work and didn't take the oven/broiler switch. But at least hwne I needed one, the appliance store had one for 40 dollars.

Reply to
mm