Ceiling Fan replacement

Hello,

The ceiling fan in my main bathroom (with shower) has died. As a temporary fix I installed the insert from the ceiling fan in the secondary bathroom (no shower). They are both the same make and model. I think they are original with the house which is about 11 years old.

I bought a new ceiling fan that is basically/exactly/almost/maybe the same size. In fact, the original is a NuTone and the new one is a Broan which appears to be Broan-NuTone.

The original and new one both specify 120V and 60Hz (I'm in Canada). The only difference I can see is that the old one uses 0.9 amps and the new one is 1.1 amps. The original is rated 50 CFM 2.5 Sonnes. The new fan is rated

50 CFM 3 Sonnes.

My question is, is it ok to use the new fan's insert in the old fan's housing? Or would it be better/right to replace the whole thing, housing and all?

I have never installed a ceiling fan, but with two wires and the hole already cut and duct work in place, I don't think it would be all that hard??

I did a small test and I think the new insert will fit in the old housing. I didn't force it in. The plug appears to fit into the original housing socket but I didn't turn the power on.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Broan has made changes in many of their fans, in my opinion, to prevent part swapping. It's most prevalent in the larger size fans. If the guts fit and don't rub, it'll be fine. If it doesn't fit, you can get replacement parts online at ventingdirect.com or other etailers, but be absolutely sure of the model number and any suffixes

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for the link. I've checked it out and I fear the exhaust fan (I was incorrectly calling it a ceiling fan) is a NuTone 696NDC B Unit (insert with motor). I checked the site and there is a NuTone 696N but its a newer model for roughly the same price of the new Broan I bought.

From the installation instructions on ventingdirect.com I see that the newer model has a curved plastic insert - just like the Broan I bought. I figure that it's for better air flow. However, the original NuTone housing doesn't have this curved plastic insert - it's just a tin box.

I think I will just outright replace the original with the new exhaust fan. It is the main bathroom, so I want to make sure there is properly shower exhaust.

Thanks for the link!

Reply to
Chris

there is a possible part number ahead, but there are many variables. this is a thankless time consuming pain in the behind without the replacement parts. [i am facing this regularly as these various models hit their dead fan stages. patience is required.] try a local johnstone supply with your old motor with its fan blade. you will need to replace them both together in most cases. you will be sorry when you tear out the entire unit expecting the new one to match and it doesn't despite your measurements. the entire unit of new assembly will likely not match the old unit for part swaps. and the next day you will find replacement plug in parts. it's every variable on dimensions of shaft length, shaft shape, round or D, rotations clockwise or counterclockwise, some reversible, with and lacking plugs, fan style, fan blade count, direction of pitch, shaft shape and diameter and length. otherwise look at virtual catalog pages 445 of catalog 58 online there (or you will get stuck in an endless text search for exhaust fans) at:

i have not ordered this item yet, i don't know if it fits your application, but you may think you are in heaven when you see this item: BROAN EXHAUST FAN UPGRADE KIT HD Supply Part #: 255301 BROAN EXHAUST FAN UPGRADE KIT Broan Exhaust Fan Upgrade Kit - Includes Newly Styled Grille, Quieter Fan Assembly And Appropriate Motor Plate - Two Motor Plates - 60 CFM -

3.0 Sones - Fits Broan Models 688, 689, 670 And 671, Nautilus Models N688 And N671, Nutone Models 693, 695 And 696N - Mfg #690 HD Supply Part #: 255301 Mfg #: 690 Manufacturer: Made In: USA $31.98
Reply to
buffalobill

Chris, this upgrade kit should work for your fan:

RBM

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately, the upgrade kit costs more than the new exhaust fan.

Reply to
Chris

It may cost more, but if the new one doesn't fit in the same opening, it might be worth the extra money to upgrade vs. the work required to make the new one fit. Just something to think about.

Reply to
DerbyDad03