Use a compressor motor to power 10" table saw? (2023 Update)

Hi, I've got a good deal on a 3 hp (220v) electric compressor motor. (runs counterclockwise) Can i use it to upgrade my 1.5hp tablesaw motor (110v). Any problems? how do you determine the direction of rotation? facing the shaft...or looking from the body of the motor towards the shaft? Thanks

Reply to
mcgyver

A previous owner replaced the 1hp motor on my TS with a 2hp. I was cutting a 45 on a large panel when the panel slammed into the motor. Since it was physically bigger, it stuck up above the table surface when the blade was tilted. Needless to say, it ruined my day. I am glad for the 2hp motor, but wish I had noticed the problem before damaging the panel. Presumably your 3hp is bigger still; make sure it will actually fit.

The other problem is that a TS motor must be TEC. I don't think a compressor motor is.

Reply to
toller

TEC?

Reply to
Leon

Totally Enclosed. The Delta motors are not though.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I was thinking TEFC but anyway a TEC motor is not required on a TS. I think every other one that I have seen is not, although it is a better idea to have one that is encloded.

Reply to
Leon

Somebody asks:

Forget trying to operate a 3HP motor on a 120VAC power source.

You can't get there from here.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

TEFC is typically the way this is designated--Totally Enclosed Fan Cooled. Which Delta motors are you referring to? All the Delta induction motors I've seen were TEFC... course I've never seen everything that Delta offers!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

The one on the back of my contractors model saw. Small vents, but still not closed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The motors on Delta's contractor saws are open, not TEFC. I don't know when or if they changed, but my 5 year old contractors saws motor is definitely open. I don't remember the model number of the saw, but it is the top of the line contractors saw, not a discount store model, the one that sells for $900 now. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I have a delta contractor grade table saw and needing to replace it. It has a 1.5 hp motor 3450 rpm and looking to replace it with a air compressor motor of either 1.5 or 2 hp with either less rpm or more whichever I can find. Will it work by doing it this way?

Reply to
Skeeter

You tell us.

Reply to
Leon

Before you replace it check to insure the insides are clean. On capacitor start motors, there are breakers that can get dirt and the saw will not start. Open that up and blowing it out may correct your problem.

This is from experience. My table saw would not start, I check and found a person who would check it out free, and recommend replacing or fixing. He took it a part as I waited, showed me the problem for future referenced, and blew it out. The problem was a small wood chip in the breaker switch.

I believe on larger motors like those on table saws and larger it is common to have capacitor starts

Reply to
knuttle

It's unusual to 'need' to replace a motor; usually, in woodworking, the only problem is sawdust getting into the starter switch (disassemble and clean, worst case, or sometimes just poke through the vents with a bamboo skewer to dislodge the dirt).

You are unlikely to want a 2 hp motor with the table saw, unless you are doing furniture manufacture with lots of dadoes... a sharp blade cuts wood rather efficiently.

Reply to
whit3rd

Maybe try this solution.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

On Jul 17, 2023, Sonny wrote (in article snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com):

Hey, if it works, it was a good idea, and if it doesn’t work, it was still a good idea! 😜 Joe

Reply to
Just Another Joe

That is my philosophy. If the machine is broken, try something. If it works you are ahead, if not you were considering a new machine anyway.

Reply to
knuttle