Question regarding Craftsman 10" table saw with a "flex shaft" drive

I am considering buying a used Craftsman table saw. The saw is in nice looking shape and runs very smooth but I have my doubts about the reliability of the "flex shaft drive" that was used on this saw. Every table saw I've ever used was a belt and pully set up. Anyone out there own a Craftsman with a "flex shaft drive?" How did this drive hold up over time? If I have to replace a motor, could I fit the "flex shaft drive" to a new motor shaft? The model number on the table saw is 113.241.1691

Thank you for the help, Ed

Reply to
Eddie

Wilson

Wilson responds:

Why bother is the operative word for the Craftsman flex drive saws. The weak point on those saws is not the motor, but the flexible shaft. I don't know if you could get another shaft these days, but back when the saws were introduced, the shaft was expensive, which is, I think, what killed the saw.

Go for another Craftsman contractor model, or almost any other contractor's saw. To change the motor, you unbolt it and bolt the new one on, and then hook the belt back on. If the belt breaks, you're out less than ten bucks and in a pinch, you can get a belt at any auto parts dealer. It may not be perfect, but it will put your saw back in operation.

Not possible with the flex shaft.

Charlie Self "Men stumble over the truth from time to time, but most pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing happened." Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Charlie Self