Replace Sears circular saw?

Do they really stand behind the lifetime guarantee?

My saw is so old I no longer have the paperwork. I brought it out the other day and it would hardly cut. I don't think it's the blade; I either had it sharpened or I replaced it not that long ago. It roars a lot, but doesn't cut much.

If I walk into the local Sears and request a replacement, will they waterboard me for info I don't have, or give me a new saw, per lifeime guarantee? or...?

Your experience appreciated.

Reply to
Higgs Boson

I think there's only a lifetime guarantee on Craftsman brand hand tools, so they'll just probably tell you "no."

Are we talking about a table saw or a hand held saw? If a table saw and the motor is just weak, it might be more economical to just replace the motor with a better one.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

On 10/16/2009 4:16 PM Nate Nagel spake thus:

No, I'll bet the OP is talking about a handheld circular saw. Try a new blade first, for chrissakes.

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

Worn bearings can cause it to roar, and if it's really bad, I would probably replace it. But if the blade is spinning at a good speed and it's not cutting, then either the blade is dull or the wrong kind for what you're trying to cut.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

I probably should have asked first what kind of saw you're talking about. I was assuming you meant a circular saw, but I guess you could mean a chain saw...

And just to cover the "silly" factor... If you haven't used it in a long time, make sure you don't have the blade/chain on backwards.

Reply to
Larry Fishel

Oops! I didn't know that. You saved me some embarrasment, if that's the case.

Hand-held. Guess I'll look for one on sale, or good used.

Do you have any not- too- expensive brand recommendations for casual home user..mainly rough cuts?

TIA

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Tx. Will double-check as soon as I get the cast off my L. wrist (accident happened AFTER I tried the saw -- no connection.)

Reply to
Higgs Boson

Hi, If blade is not the problem. Check brushes on the motor.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

I don't think they give a lifetime warranty on any power tools.

Reply to
Tony

Or, quite possibly, on backwards.

Reply to
HeyBub

Is $40.00 too much?

HeyBub

On 10/16/2009 4:10 PM Higgs Boson spake thus:

Doesn't apply to power tools like this, apparently, as others here have stated.

Question: does it "roar" more than it did before? Do you remember how noisy it use to be? Keep in mind that circular saws are generally noisy beasts.

If it seems about as loud as before, probably nothing wrong with the saw itself. Either the blade is dull, or installed backwards (which would certainly explain poor cutting).

Reply to
David Nebenzahl

I'd actually go to a pawn shop and see if I could find a contractor grade one for cheap. probably last a lifetime.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Blade on backwards? OK, stop laughing.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Harbor Freight comes to mind. No worries, they likely get that question often enough.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Hmm. This being usenet, should we belive you?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Higgs Boson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

From a previous post of mine in case you have an Ollie's Outlet nearby AND thay just happen to have it also.

Yea I have some pretty old B&D stuff including a 7.25 circular saw that was bought in 1983, seen a lot of use and not even new brushes. Bearings are noisy as hell and it sounds like it's gonna die next use. That next use has been going on for 3 yrs.

Couple of weeks ago I was in Ollie's Outlet (place like Big Lots) and they had a bunch of Skill saws to my amazement. Probably disco models.

39.95 for a 13a, 2.5hp, carbide blade, case, good feel, nice indicators and adjusters. Kinda hard to pass up at that price with only a Night of the Living Dead B&D on hand.

Red Green

news: snipped-for-privacy@j9g2000prh.googlegroups.com:

I got all excited there for a second; if it was a worm drive model I knew what I'd be doing tomorrow.

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Larry Fishel wrote in news:c40f8a2f-1671-4c45-bf47- snipped-for-privacy@b15g2000yqd.googlegroups.com:

My 25yo B&D indeed roars. Kerf is a tad wide too :-)

Reply to
Red Green

Nate Nagel wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news5.newsguy.com:

If it was a worm drive Nate I would have bought them all and eBay'd them or something.

Reply to
Red Green