When to replace a car battery

I have a 1997 car, that I bought used. II owned the car for 5 years. I don't know how long the 2nd car battery (sears) is in place. I recently went on a trip, and my batter died while car was sitting in garage for 3 weeks. I charged battery, and it died again, 2 months later. However, I really don't use car that much. Maybe 30-60 minutes of driving per week.

How do I know, that the battery is good or bad, since when charged, it lasted about 2 months of very light driving.

I have a trickle charger, but am wondering if the battery is bad, and is time to be replaced. I do not know how old this battery is.

If the car battery is bad, rather than keep a trickle charger on the battery, I was hoping that driving 30-60 minutes a week, is long enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you please provide some input.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Usually the battery has a date code on the top that is punched out by the installer.

However isn't your time worth a $75 new battery. Each time it failed it took how l> I have a 1997 car, that I bought used. II owned the car for 5 years. I don't

know how long the 2nd

while car was sitting

However, I really don't

about 2 months of very

to be replaced. I do

I was hoping that

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Reply to
howard

know how long the 2nd

while car was sitting

However, I really don't

about 2 months of very

to be replaced. I do

I was hoping that

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Hi, Aging battery holds less and less charge. I'd replace it before it dies on you completey. If it creates internal short due to structure fatigue, it can damage alternator and/or regulator.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

How do I know, that the battery is good or bad, since when charged, it lasted about 2 months of very light driving.

I have a trickle charger, but am wondering if the battery is bad, and is time to be replaced. I do not know how old this battery is.

If the car battery is bad, rather than keep a trickle charger on the battery, I was hoping that driving 30-60 minutes a week, is long enough to keep the battery charged.

Can you please provide some input.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

stevie

know how long the 2nd

while car was sitting

However, I really don't

about 2 months of very

to be replaced. I do

was hoping that

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Reply to
maradcliff

Batteries don't last forever. Yours is way passed shelf life. So get a new one and be happy

Reply to
tinacci336

Howard and Tony,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I will get a new battery on the weekend.

I am trying to find out, if a good battery can hold its charge on 30-60 minutes of car use per week?

Thanks much,

- Larry

snipped-for-privacy@energytactics.com wrote:

know how long the 2nd

died while car was sitting

However, I really don't

about 2 months of very

to be replaced. I do

I was hoping that

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Except that most barreries are seal today.

Be sure the belt is tight also. I've seen people replace batteries and alternators when all they needed was to have the belt tensioned properly.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

minutes of car use per

know how long the 2nd

died while car was sitting

However, I really don't

about 2 months of very

to be replaced. I do

I was hoping that

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Hi, Yes. I always like a car with ammeter not idiot dash light.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

One common failure syndrome:

-alternator belt slowly loosens, reducing output

-battery plates "sulfate"- crystals form on them, reducing ability to store and return charge

-problems with starting.

Check s.g. of electrolyte in cells. If one or more notably lower than others, recycle it. If all are low- in mid-range of s.g., try a voltage-regulated charger for a week or 10 days. If no progress, recycle; else keep charging for another week.

Of course, make sure alternator is properly driven, and that output voltage is regulated to specs.

You'd be amazed how many perfectly serviceable batteries get tossed as a result of such a simple problem. I've resurrected quite a few, and put them back into service.

barry

Practically all of my driving "misadventures" over the last 60 years were due to battery failures.

I have not had any problems since I used the following procedure:

I thoroughly check anything from tire pressure to drive belts and oil every

3 months or 3000 miles. At that time I also check the battery: I measure the battery voltage before I start, turn on the headlights for 15 minutes (heavy battery drain) and then measure the battery voltage again. Voltage should be the same or a tad less, unless the battery is getting weak.

I also buy only batteries recommended by consumer reports and change them out every three years. regardless of condition. 25 bucks a year is cheap insurance against being stranded somewhere in the boonies.

This system has not let me down in the last 20 years.

Reply to
Walter R.

You'd be amazed at how many people just don't service their battery. Make sure the top of the battery isn't dirty. You can create a draw between the battery posts just from the dirt. Make sure the posts are clean and corrosion free. Make sure the cells are topped off if you have that type of battery. Make sure you don't have a parasitic draw from accessories.

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

Maybe I am getting old.. but I just replace the batterty at first sign of trouble.. it just isn't worth the suckiness of having it die on you.

My recomendation is picking one up at Costco (or I assume Sams Club has them as well) they are $45 bucks or so. I have personally been very pleased with Costco ones.. and have probably put 5 or 6 in a variety of different cars over the last 8 years or so..

at the risk of getting kicked out of the "manly-man club".. I don't do any maintenance on them.. they are all sealed these days.. I guess if it looks overly dirty I would wipe it off.. but I have never seen that become a problem..

Reply to
Jack

Hi Jack

If you replace your battery when it gives you trouble, it is too late already. You are courting with real inconvenience and expense.

Reply to
Walter R.

I like both of you! I'm going to open a battery shop. I'd make a ton of money!

Maybe some day I can br>Hi Jack

Reply to
Mark and Kim Smith

I have never yet gotten one thats sealed. Some say they are, but the caps still come off. They just make them so they are not as easy to get off. I have noticed less of that in the last few years too. That was a stupid idea to start with. Just like oilless motors, another stupid idea.

Yes, a good point. To the OP, if your car has a amp gauge or volt gauge, be sure its showing on the PLUS side (charging) If its says volts, it should read around 13 to 14 when the car is running. If you got a light, you cant tell much unless it lights. (Sometimes the gauges also say CHARGING or BATTERY instead of the other words.

If you are having the cold snap we are having in the midwest, you will soon find out if that battery works. They are talking 30 below tonite. Damn I hate cold weather.

Reply to
maradcliff

That is plenty of time driving, but depending on the car even a week without driving can a problem. All those alarm systems etc tend to draw current. Any time a battery is allowed to go dead it reduces it's capacity. Many people have problems with excessive dark drain (electric usage with the car not running). Many places will check your battery for free. Since you are considering replacing yours now, why not have the check it first. Most can check the charging system at the same time.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

minutes of car use per

If you are just going a couple miles at a time to the grocery store, and especially now when you are using the heater, and possible headlights, you are not charging enough. A trickle charger at least once a week on your NEW battery would be a good idea. You do know that short trips are hard on the engine too. Take it out for a brisk drive once a week on the highway and you wont need to charge the batt and it will help your engine. Doing short trips like you do means you should change your oil more often too.

PS. Short drives also hurt the exhaust system, because water condensation builds up, and it never gets hot enough to dry it out.

Mark

Reply to
maradcliff

Yup, there is a reason why AAA now has special vans ("The Battery Van") that do nothing but take care of battery replacements for stranded motorists. Confirms what I said about battery problems being the # 1 problem for motorists. Who wants to drive around with a questionable battery or a battery that has been patched up??

Reply to
Walter R.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that the batt could be low on water. They should all be filled over the top of the plates, or about 3/8 inch below the top of the batt. It could be the water is just low. Use distilled water if you add some.

Reply to
maradcliff