Wasps are coming through into the house from attic

I have a problem with wasps. It seems that they are coming from the attic and going into the house by a vent. I thought they were coming through a sun lamp opening. I taped it shut as a test and the wasps are still coming through.

Can wasps come in through the heating vents. I would think this is a closed system, but I don't see another way for them to come in. I have a forced hot air/oil unit that also uses A/C through the same vents.

I did "bomb" the attic but the wasps are still coming in. It seems that there are no "screens in the attic, so that it is easy for any insect to come in through the roof on all sides of the attic. I guess this is for venting. Is there suppose to be screens on the part of the house that touches the roof to the house walls, to prevent such insects, animals, etc.

If so, what should I use and how should i install it. From the inside of the attic or from the outside with a 2 story ladder.

Thanks much,

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

I had them come in once. They ate their way through the drywall. In my case bombing the attic took care of it. Sorry that it did not work for you. You may been the pros and or screen those openings followed by another fog.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

going into the house

shut as a test and

system, but I don't see

uses A/C through the

are no "screens in the

sides of the attic. I

house that touches the

When I get calls for wasps getting in from the attic it will be usually from can (recessed) lighting, though they can get in from other fixtures that aren't real secure to the ceiling, or from the fireplace. The fogger will only effect what insects come in contact with the insecticide, so they can be hit or miss with the results. If it happens to be the fireplace an occasional summer burning can help keep them from nesting.

Lar

Reply to
Lar

You need to cover the openings in the attic with window screening. Just staple it down the edges making sure taht there aren't any puckers in the screen or the buggers will find their way back in. You just may end up sealing a few in there and you can do a few things about that;

  1. Do nothing and they should just die of thirst, starvation. A couple may find their way into the house but a rolled newspaper should solve that pretty quickly.
  2. Fumigate again.

  1. Hang a homemade wasp trap. Just cut the top 4" off the bottle and invert the neck into the bottle. Tape the circumference of the cut. Prime it with some soda - NO diet soda - they want sugar as we do! They will crawl in for the soda and won't be able to find the open, inverted neck.

Reply to
C & E

sides of the attic. I

house that touches the

My house has screening on all the soffitt vents. (I"m not sure what it has in the ridge vent. It's too curved for me to tell from the inside)

When I first went into the attic, I found two sets of eyes looking at me from the pink insulation. It was two moderately sized birds that had gotten under the layer of fiberglass and were poking their faces out. They were pretty dry and I through them away. (I no longer remember if I heard them flying around inside before I went up there or not. I had so many other things to do.)

I went looking for how they got in and found a pretty small place where the wood at the end of the house was damaged and the screeing was no longer attached to the wood. I don't know if they managed to fly to this place and go in in one motion, or if they attacked the wood themselves while hanging upside down and then squeezed in. They didn't seem like the hang-upside down type. I wasn't sure that my nails would even stick. I though the wood left would crumbe, but it's been 24 years and nothing I know of has gotten in since then.

Reply to
mm

Great. I will get on this.