Do I need a new thermostat for my GE Refridgerator

I have a GE Refrigerator. It's a couple of years old. I have a service contract and the repairman is coming tomorrow.

Here is the problem. The fridge is now a couple of years old. About 6 months ago, the temperature has not been stable. For instance, the freezer section was displaying a temperature of -5 degrees, when the temerature was set to -2.

The refridgerator has to be set to 35 degrees otherwise the setting goes to around 40, when I set the temperature to 37.

Now, I know that when the doors are open, temperature rises. My problem, is if the doors are closed at night, the next morning, the temperature, should not be colder than the set termperature.

Should I have the repariman replace the thermostat. Too bad, the repairmen that are usually sent, are not very good. So I have to try to get advice before he comes, so I can get this fixed without many visits.

Your advice to tell the repairman would be great.

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

Contributing writer for FUTURES Magazine Author of RECRUITSOURCE PEOPLESOFT EXAM and RECRUITSOURCE SAP/R3 EXAM Author of POWER TIPS FOR THE APPLE NEWTON and INTRODUCTION TO CSP

NOTE: To send me an email, remove TAKEOUT from my email address: snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

NOTE: My web home page:

Lawrence M. Seldin, CMC, CPC

contract and the repairman is

ago, the temperature

temperature of -5 degrees,

around 40, when I set

the doors are closed

termperature.

that are usually sent,

get this fixed without

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Lawrence,Can't think of anything better to govern temp.than the t- stat. I don't do many small appliances,mostly Comm.freezers and coolers like the ones you would find at KFC and BK. The repair man should be able to test the control .Something else that you might have him look at is the amient compensator.This causes the unit to cycle if the ambient room temp.drops below the normal t-stat setting.That also could be the cause of your trouble. Hope this helps.

Reply to
Country

contract and the repairman is

ago, the temperature

temperature of -5 degrees,

around 40, when I set

if the doors are closed

set termperature.

that are usually sent,

get this fixed without

snipped-for-privacy@seldin.net

Daughter had same problem this week. Repair guy said the insulation in the doors was bad. Told her he could replace the insulation for $200 or he would recall her fridge and give her $500 to get another GE fridge. She is having her new fridge installed on Friday. Good luck!

Reply to
Chuck

Country and Chuck,

I printed out your answers to give the repairman help.

Thank you,