Clothes Washer Drain Height

Hello there,

Without getting into all the details do you think that I can drain a new clothes washer between joists which is approximately 6' 6" in height?

Thanks for responses,

Dennis

Reply to
Chowsman

I would look on line for the washer you are getting to check the manual but to me it sounds too high.

Reply to
Art

Highly doubt it. I bought a new washer for this place after the old one caught on fire, and I had to extend the drain hose to reach the 5' or so high collector on the wall. It works, but the cycles take a little longer. If you don't have a washer drain in place, you need to be looking at one of those plastic box and pump-with-a-float-switch kits, to make it to a drain up in the ceiling. What level does your sewer main or septic line exit your basement, and how close to the washer location is that? Having a plumber tie a collector into that is the legal way to go. You do want a standpipe and air gap, to make sure sewer line water can't get back into the washer.

BTW, in case you were gonna just run a line through band joist above sill plate and spill it in the yard, that is illegal almost everywhere. Draining washer into a drywell is getting to be frowned upon, too.

aem sends....

Reply to
aemeijers

It should work, I had my doubts but we installed my brothers machine ( a maytag front loader) with a drain about that high 2 years ago and it seems to work just fine,

Reply to
Mike S.

Sure, just put the washer on a 4 foot box.

There are probably pumps that will handle this also.

Reply to
mm

Maybe 5 feet but 6.5 is stretching it, not that it wouldn't work but rather it may take longer to empty.

Reply to
Meat Plow

Pump may have enough lift, but I'd be wondering where it goes from there and concerned about back up and that's quite a bit of standing grey water.

--

Reply to
dpb

Wonder if the drain height is ever spec'd out in the owner's manual? I've never bought a new washer,I have a pair of Kenmore that was used when I bought them back in 1990. Also wonder if some of the newer hi-tech washers even need the standing drain, seems simple enough to do away with.

Reply to
Meat Plow

just lift hose to perspective height and see what happens, even if you have to drain the water into some buckets.

Reply to
hallerb

I know how to do it. I was curious as to if it's mentioned in the user's manual. The standing hose needs to be maybe 6 inches higher than the highest level inside the tub. I was also curious if any manufactures have done away with this need, that's about it.

Reply to
Meat Plow

On or about Sun, 15 Jul 2007 01:12:43 -0000 did snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com dribble thusly:

The height should not a problem at all. Just make sure you have a stand pipe of around 12" with a P-trap at the base, and that it's vented properly.

Reply to
Mike Ruskai