Any way to correct garage door sagging/bowing

I have a single 7' x 16' sectional garage door (steel).

problem:

There's a crack at the top-most hinge/lip at the backside (the side facing the inside of the garage) of the bottom-most section of the garage door. That's what causing the sag (I suspect someone back into it with the car a while back)

The bottom-most section is sagging (it bows) when the door is raised to its top-most position.

For those handyman out there, are there any solutions that I can attach to the lip/hinge of the bottom-most section that will strengthen it so it doesn't bow when the door is raised?

There's always the replace the door option/replace the bottom most section, but if there's a cheaper option ...

Reply to
chicheong.ho

I'm not sure I'm picturing your situation cleary, but can you bolt a length of angle iron or something similiar to the weak section?

Drill through the door and angle iron and place a few bolts, washers and nuts strategically along the area that bows.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I'm picturing it the way Derby Dad is and thinking the same thing. A problem might be that the lower horizontal lip of the piece above might go flush against the top horizontal lip of the lowest piece. If so, and if that's where you want to attach the angle iron, pound that horizontal part up enough to make room for the screw heads. If later, you replace the bottom section, you can pound that inch back down to where it was.

If you don't want screws to show through on the front of the door, maybe there is enough lip facing backwards. If not, use the horizontal lip and "screws" with smallish heads, plus washers. I'm thinking maybe rivets have the smallest heads, and the washers don't have to be thick. Would pop rivets be enough to hold this thing in place? I have no real feel for how strong they are, or how strong 10 are. I've only seen one quality of pop-rivet. Is there anything better than that? Or are they just too weak?

If none of this will work, you can put the screws through the front of the door.

Reply to
mm

Buy a new hinge.

Reply to
Meat Plow

You can attach perforated angle steel to the bottom section. Use two pieces so they are attached like a "V" and the bottom center screw fits through both pieces.

Reply to
Phisherman