Dropped screws down drain

First time I've done this.

In the laundry room. A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below. Several ended up right at the drain. I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now? I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Reply to
Hot ICQ

magnet on a flexible thingie, can buy them most hardware stores

don't run water, though.

Reply to
Robert Macy

Big enough magnet and you can 'walk' the screws back out of the drain. The real question are these screw mission critical or can you do without them. if the latter, run the water and don't be concerned.

Reply to
NotMe

Take the drain apart?

.

In the laundry room. A box of tons of screws fell down into the sink below. Several ended up right at the drain. I was able to get out most of them delicately, but a few dropped down into the drain (plastic pipes).

Any tips on how to remove them now? I'm thinking possibly coat wire with magnet attached?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

if you haven't run any water, just remove the p-trap and empty out the screws

Reply to
ChairMan

Thanks, I'll check the stores for a flexible thingie. :) I won't run any water until I sort this out.

Reply to
Hot ICQ

The screws aren't critical at all. The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the water there. Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

Reply to
Hot ICQ

I'd do that right away if it were easy, but from what I can see, all the joints seemed to be sealed tight (glue?).

Reply to
Hot ICQ

If there isn't an easily accessible trap of some sort there already, now is a good time to spend 30 minutes putting one in.

It will be nice to have when your 10 carat diamond falls into the sink.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Just take the drain trap apart

Reply to
devnull

Toss several sticks of dynamite in the sink. Light them, and run like hell.

Reply to
governor

The screws aren't critical at all. The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the water there. Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

{{

First put some decent magnets is a small cloth bag (tobacco pouch of the old days comes to mind) and lower that down the drain line.

If you can reach the line further down put some magnets at a low point to arrest the progression to the pump. Does the pump have a disconnect and a screen to block such accidents?

If so a temporary 'p' trap with magentas might help.

My grandparent's place in the country had a grease trap in line that was great at catching all sorts of stuff we kids managed to pass down the kitchen drain. Anything that went down the toilet was gone gone gone.

Reply to
NotMe

Undo the trap and dump them out.

Reply to
clare

I'd be thinking to take the trap apart. No sense missing one, if the magnet flexes in the wrong direction.

.

The screws aren't critical at all. The problem though is that my house drains its water from a septic tank to a septic bed that is up hill and requires a pump to get the water there. Screws and such could 'screw up' the pump!

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Pour conc. muriatic acid in the drain, wait 24 hours. turn the screws to ferric chloride?

.

I'd do that right away if it were easy, but from what I can see, all the joints seemed to be sealed tight (glue?).

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Carats are divine, and it's a miracle that they're mine.

You can hacksaw a PVC drain, and put it together with Fernco connectors. Easier done than said.

.

It will be nice to have when your 10 carat diamond falls into the sink.

Jim

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Thanks Stormin'.

It looks like I'm all set to rock an' roll tomorrow.

I didn't notice that there was a square knob that allows access to the p-trap further down.

I was able to open it up, rather easily just now. The p-trap (bottom) is about a foot away from this opening. But it's angled down in a devious way, so I'll still need use the magnet trick to get those buggers out.

I'll send a fishing report sometime tomorrow. :)

Reply to
Hot ICQ

The nice thing about PVC. It cuts fairly easily with hacksaw, or Sawzall, and you can put it back together with Fernco couplers. Low pressure drain, even easier to patch.

I hope you get all the screws, easily. And your sewage ejector is saved.

.

Thanks Stormin'.

It looks like I'm all set to rock an' roll tomorrow.

I didn't notice that there was a square knob that allows access to the p-trap further down.

I was able to open it up, rather easily just now. The p-trap (bottom) is about a foot away from this opening. But it's angled down in a devious way, so I'll still need use the magnet trick to get those buggers out.

I'll send a fishing report sometime tomorrow. :)

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

On Oct 26, 7:47=A0am, "Stormin Mormon"

Thanks Chris.

I just got back from a successful fishing expedition. I bought a pack of pipe cleaners and some magnets.

I put some magnets in a small plastic pouch and hooked a couple of pipe cleaners to the bag.

I tried going in through the opening near the p-trap, but the bag was snagging in the pipes. So I tried going straight down the drain in the sink. That worked.

There was some water at the trap, which was to be expected. First catch, three screws. Second catch, two screws. Third catch, one heavier screw. Fourth catch, a nut!

I had estimated about 4-6 screws falling down, so I think I got em' all. :)

Thanks for everyone's help!

Reply to
Hot ICQ

I'm very pleased, for you. And thank you for sharing the good news.

.