refrig ice maker quit working

We had some work done on our kitchen and the refrigerator ice maker was disconnected for a few weeks. The refrigerator was still working otherwise. Now, after hooking the water back up, it isn't making ice. There is definitely water going to the tube, but no water in the ice tray.

I've tried blowing on the tube to see if I could unclog it, but I couldn't.

I checked all of the buttons and settings - they are OK. I also checked the cutoff arm.

I have an air compressor that I was going to use on the tube, but it has a connection for tires only, so it won't fit the tube.

Any suggestions on how to fix it?

Reply to
Jan Philips

I had problem after leaving it sit unconnected. My controller is in the ice maker. If the controller is cycling, the valve should cycle. Valve could be stuck, or controller not working. Still not working. Here. I could monitor voltage to valve.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

the water valve is likely bad you can check for voltage at the valve sometimes a icemaker kit is cheaper than buying the parts.....

what happens with the ice maker water supply disconnected, and the ice maker left on, it calls constantky for water and damages the water valve solenoid

Reply to
bob haller

:-( I don't think we turned off the ice maker while the water was disconnected.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Totally needs more diagnostic workup.

.

the water valve is likely bad you can check for voltage at the valve sometimes a icemaker kit is cheaper than buying the parts.....

what happens with the ice maker water supply disconnected, and the ice maker left on, it calls constantky for water and damages the water valve solenoid

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It was that way about 2 days.

Reply to
Jan Philips

If you move the lever that senses the levelof the ice, can you hear any clicking or sounds that sound like a valve opening and closing. If dead silence, either the switch or the valve is most likely gone west.

Reply to
hrhofmann

My guess is that while you had it disconnected but with the refrig still running, the water froze in a part of the water line that it usually doesn't sit in long enough to freeze. I'd turn the fridge off for as long as you think you can without losing your frozen stuff and seeing if that "fixes" it.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I agree. We had the problem, let the freezing compartment thaw, refroze, all was well.

Reply to
dadiOH

For my understanding, doesn't the water just sit in the line anyway? What keeps it from freezing if you don't use the ice cubes for a couple of days??

Reply to
hrhofmann

Couldn't tell you for sure but my guess is that when the ice maker is cyclying to make ice it opens a valve, closes it after it gets the water.

Reply to
dadiOH

The water line after the water valve runs up the back of the fridge, it never gets cold.

.

For my understanding, doesn't the water just sit in the line anyway? What keeps it from freezing if you don't use the ice cubes for a couple of days??

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Take the cover off and bang the shit out of it. It worked for me. :)

Reply to
Thomas

Could you blow into it, or were you prevented from exhaling?

Wrap tape around it and then your hand.

Reply to
micky

Ah, the Redneck WWF approach.

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

well if you really want to explore this failure..........

the solenoid valve is likely 120 volts, so unplug tthe solenoid valve, and use clipsto apply power line vlotage to the solenoid, with the out side of the valve disconnected....

if you dont have a stream of water flying across the room the valve is bad.......

note ohm meter readings are useless

Reply to
bob haller

Fix the compressor first. Remove the tire filler end. Get a female coupler at any hardware store. Also get a male coupler for the tire filler. Then buy a blow gun attachment and screw a male adaptor on that. Now you can plug either the tire filler or the blow gun onto your compressor hose. This will cost you around $10 to $15.

Now use the blow gun to blow out your water tube. Be sure to remove it from the fridge and the pipe where it is connected before doing this.

Reply to
phillipsscrewdriver

Yes, I hear clicking. This happened while the water was disconnected but the unit was still running, and the button to make ice was still on for a couple of days.

Reply to
Jan Philips

That is definitely a possibility. I can't blow through the tube, and I would expect to be able to if it isn't stopped up.

Reply to
Jan Philips

That is beyond what I can do.

Reply to