Dropped screws down drain

Disassemble the trap; a very simple job, and dump the hardware out. You're making mountains out of mole hills here.

Reply to
Twayne

You tuned in late?

All done!

.

Disassemble the trap; a very simple job, and dump the hardware out. You're making mountains out of mole hills here.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Very, VERY lucky that the screws have some iron (attracted to magnets) in them!

David

Reply to
David Combs

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. Even though you can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having been disassembled.

If that ever happens to anyone again, have your carpets shampoo'ed.

And, while the guy is there cleaning your carpet, ask him to use his carpet extractor to suck out the contents of that p-trap.

The vaccuum motors used in carpet cleaning machines are much more powerful than those used in ordinary vaccuum cleaners. I expect that a strong wind up the drain pipe would carry even steel screw up and out of the drain.

Or, at least, I'd try using a powerful vacuum before I took the p-trap apart.

Reply to
nestork

Nothing that a dollars worth of new gaskets cant fix.....

Reply to
homeowner

I always thought these were a good idea. Not sure that the whole thing needs to be clear, but the clear removable ring-catcher is cool.

Smitty Two

I'd expect that to pump a lot of stinky sewer gas into the room. Then, you'd have to go out to the carpet van, and have them drain the 200 gallon waste tank so you can try and disassemble the tank to get your screws back.

Paraphrasing Trevye, "I think you better think it out, again."

.

I would also be reluctant to disassemble the p-trap. Even though you can get away with it most of the time, it's been my experience that the rest of the time the p-trap will leak at the union fitting after having been disassembled.

If that ever happens to anyone again, have your carpets shampoo'ed.

And, while the guy is there cleaning your carpet, ask him to use his carpet extractor to suck out the contents of that p-trap.

The vaccuum motors used in carpet cleaning machines are much more powerful than those used in ordinary vaccuum cleaners. I expect that a strong wind up the drain pipe would carry even steel screw up and out of the drain.

Or, at least, I'd try using a powerful vacuum before I took the p-trap apart.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

They're great, I put some in at the cabin It makes winterizing so much faster

Reply to
Attila Iskander

Uh, the vacuum exit on a truck mounted machine IS outside.

Plus you can easily put a few layers of cheese cloth over the tubes to prevent the screws from going all the way up inside. Or, a metal screenwire strainer, kitchen utensil. for extra support.

Reply to
Robert Macy