Mahogany Or Not; Chess Box Or Not

I Am Reposting This One With A Lot Of Capital Letters And The Word Mahogany In The Title In The Hope That Someone Will Take The Bait This Time. It Seem Hard To Imagine Nobody Had A Single Thing To Say About Any Of This.

Subject: when plans meet circumstances From: Silvan Date: Friday 03 December 2004 06:32:26 pm Groups: rec.woodworking User-Agent: KNode/0.8.0 no references

I've been dreaming of an exquisite walnut/maple trumpet case, because I need a trumpet case, and because I like the combination of walnut and maple.

I squirrled away a little cash I earned from a bit of moonlighting, and went forth to ye olde butchered and baked tree merchant to purchase as much walnut as I could afford.

Their walnut stock was abysmal.  Almost every last board was thin, cupped, severely twisted, and composed predominantly of sapwood.

I came home with the one walnut board that was pretty close to straight and flat.  It's a mix of heart and sap, but it has some interesting figure if I don't plane it off when I work it up.

I also came home with 5 bf of mahogany.  Honduran, Philipine, Upper Slobobian, Dinzl Ptekian, I have no clue.  It's about a raw sienna color, and the color is fairly even, though there is some striping.  The butchered treeseller's upstream supplier can supply either "African mahogany" or "Genuine Mahogany."  I don't know which this is, and neither did the little old lady behind the counter.  It was $4.98/bf compared to $4.70/bf for walnut (the same prices they had a year ago, incidentally) if that makes it likely to be one or the other.  I have a vague idea that it's "supposed" to be "genuine" mahogany.

I also spent up the last dregs of my cash on a couple bf of soft maple.

So now I'm trying to figure out what I want to do with this.  It just isn't saying "trumpet case" to me anymore.  Actually, now that I've got a five-leg stand coming, my horn will almost never see the inside of the case anyway.  If I ever do get some contacts going and get out in the world and play with other people at some point, it might be cool to show off my ridiculously snazzy trumpet case, but this is seeming less and less likely. I've been trying to play the social life game a little, and it's just not my bag.  I was born to be a hermit.

I've been thinking of doing another chess box, but I had intended to do walnut/maple for that too.  I have a real thing for walnut.  Mahogany looking interestingish, but it's not a color I'm really in love with.  It seems a sure bet it needs to be mixed with something more interesting. This figured heart/sap walnut is interesting.  I'm thinking maybe a predominantly mahogany chess box with this swirly walnut for the contrasting element.  I'm not sure if this will be a letdown compared to the walnut/maple vision I have to do eventually or not, really.  That one I made for Dad last year sure is awful puuuuuuuuurty.

SWMBO doesn't need any jewelry boxes, and there's not enough wood here to build anything of any real size.  I guess I'm stuck in a rut on chess boxes, but I can't quite think of anything better to do with it.  It sure seems a waste of all this disgustingly expensive wood to make a trumpet case out of it.

What say ye?  Also, what say ye about trying some other kind of shellac on the two-tone walnut?  I'm debating whether to try garnet or orange instead of the blonde I used last time.  It might darken the light patches a little and make everything look more walnutty, but then it might have unwanted clashes with the (faux?) mahogany too.

While I think about it, I guess I'll stick it in the house.  I still don't have any satisfactory way to store lumber flat in my shop.  I should probably let it sit a few weeks anyway before I work it.

Reply to
Silvan

snip

Personally I'd wait to get some walnut as I don't care for mahogany. Walnut has so much more character. If you have a good trumpet then I'd wait for the right selection of walnut for the case. If you have a pea shooter trumpet like mine then........

I think showing off the trumpet with hand crafted walnut/maple case close by would be awesome. If you use the mahogany you'll always be wondering how much better it would have looked with walnut.

Now you have me thinking of making a nice case for my wife's flute (much more than a pea shooter as she still plays and I don't)

Use the mahogany for other things like the chess box.

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

You should be a writer.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

Not if it makes you happy. Make it nice and it'll give you a warm fuzzy every time you take out the trumpet.

Garnet lac would be beautiful on both woods.

Barry

Reply to
Ba r r y

I wish I could get paid for this kind of thing right here, really. Writing random muses about things is about all I'm good for. I hope it makes for good entertainment, but it's not book fodder. I haven't found a market for my style of writing.

I'm working on a book now, and I may get it published, but I'd rather be known for something besides computer books. Even presuming I do get it published without resorting to paying a vanity publisher. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I'm glad someone agrees with the principle. When walnut is available, why use anything else? :)

It's not a fancy trumpet. Just an Olds Ambassador student model. I've about talked myself out of doing the case because this thing will live on a trumpet stand 90% of the time anyway. I almost never travel with it, and I don't expect having a fancy case is going to make it any more likely that I will suddenly become a social butterfly and make a bunch of music playing friends. No hurry on the case at all, so I can wait until I can do it the way I want, or maybe not do it at all.

And there is definitely that. I'm just not seeing mahogany here. But for a chess box... Sure, that will look fine I guess.

Hafta get into scraping though. Whatever species this is has some really nasty looking reversing grain. Every other growth layer on this board has massive tearout from the lumber yard's planer. I haven't hit it with a well tuned hand plane yet, but I'm thinking I may well have to scrape everything.

Just don't make it so nice she decides she has to put one of those $50,000 jobs in there. :)

Reply to
Silvan

I had to take a step back when she bought the latest flute for $2500. The sound difference between her old flute and the new one was incredible. I don't know if the $50k flute would be that stubstantial of a difference to warrant the cost. Gold flute would be nice, though!

Fortunately my wife is way more frugal than that and I really couldn't gripe seeing as my mountain bike was quite a bit more......

Gary

Reply to
GeeDubb

Do you write because you have to or do you write hoping to make a buck? If it's a compulsion go with it. If it's not then you will probably find it frustrating.

I added it up a while back and I've put something over a million words on USENET over the past 15 years or so. If I had written just one marketable novel in that time . . .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've written seven or eight of them. It doesn't make the compulsion to write go away and it doesn't get you off USENET.

(It doesn't make that much money, either, but that's a different issue.)

Writing is definitely an obsessive compulsive disorder.

--RC

You can tell a really good idea by the enemies it makes

Reply to
rcook5