1) You're out of soap. Add more soap.
2) The pump is clogged with thickened soap. Take the pump out and soak it
in the sink overnight. Pump it with both ends under water. Eventually, the
water will soften up the soap in the tubes. You may have to use boiling
water on the stove, but remove all the plastic parts first.
3) The pump is clogged with dried soap. Disassemble it, clean it, and
reassemble it. See 2).
4) The pump is broken. Install a new one.
LOL - it's full of soap (but I appreciate it being step 1) and water runs
through it,but with the thicker soap, I am going to try the boiling water
If it's broken, I want to see if I can figure out why and if/how to repair
the guts part since the dispenser part is a stainless steel part of the
I've had one of these for many years.
They never last long. If you buy the
units, expect to pay $30 to $60. When
my last expensive one died, I when to
the home store (Menards) and bought the
el-cheapo unit for about $15. It was
probably made in China or somewhere like
that. It has
worked just as good as the Grohe, etc.
I suspect it will die after 5 or 6 years,
just like the previous Grohe unit.
Interesting. No clogs AFIK, but not knowing what a check valve is, I will
soak it overnight and see if that helps. Water runs freely thru all
disassembled parts of it (stem - pump - dispenser), when I reassemble the
remaining water will shoot out with a few pumps. SO I drop it back in the
soap container and nada - a few foamy bubbles.
That (&% soap dispenser lasted less than 3 mo with less than daily use...it
acts like it doesn't create enough suction to suck up the soap - I don't
know if it gets *into* the plastic middle section and if so, why it doesn't
get pushed out the dispenser.
I know it's a small thing compared to some of these big jobs, but it was a
stretch for me to afford the set and have it installed & I don't want to
drop a cheap alternative in there (unless guts is guts in these things and I
can just replace the guts part).
I hate things I can't see to figure out how to fix them!
replying to Laurie, Dawn M. wrote:
This is exactly what is happening now to my Grohe dispenser. It's only 18
months old and was quite expensive. All parts work when not assembled, but when
put back together, they all fail. Did you manage to fix your problem?
I soaked the components all night in baking soda....to no avail. It's almost
like there is an airflow problem, disallowing the soap to make it all the way up
the tube when assembled.
If you have any more info or help, I would very much appreciate it.
If you can't get it working, not to worry. A whole new dispenser is 1.
inexpensive at your favorite home center and 2. a drop-in or, at worst,
a screw-in installation on your sink.
Five minutes tops, not counting unloading then reloading all the junk
under the sink if you have to screw in a new container because the new
pump doesn't fit the existing container.
With all this “gun control” talk, I haven’t heard one politician say how
they plan to take guns away from criminals and terrorists— just from law
replying to Laurie, Mike wrote:
The reason this often happens is because the seals within the pump harden and
shrink. The easiest way to determine if this has happened is to try to pump
clear water. If water passes, you have hardened seals.
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE PUMP!!! Seals will swell and become pliable
when they come in contact with petroleum based lubricants. From personal
experience, I recommend that you go to an automotive parts house or hardware and
purchase a spray can of CRC White Lithium Grease #05037. It has a red tube
nozzle like WD-40, so spraying into the tube from the bottom is very easy. Pump
the grease through and you will find the seals swell immediately.
The pump will become difficult to push down and won't return to its cocked
position immediately thereafter, but within a day, all will work like new.
replying to Mike, Jen wrote:
Thank You Mike! I've struggled with name brand installed soap dispensers
failing numerous times now in different homes and kitchens.You were the first
person to have an actual cause and solution! I shared your post with my husband-
he said he was gonna try straight WD40- figured it'd do the same thing and
Voila! Worked perfectly and immediately! You ROCK! Thanks again for your
replying to Mike, Tom wrote:
Mike, I have two of the expensive grohe dispensers, less than one year old. One
stopped working a couple of months ago and your wd-40 worked. The other stopped
working two days ago. I found your instructions again on line. I washed the
parts well and let them dry overnight. Then, I sprayed them with WD-40 silicone
and re installed them. After a couple of pumps it works better than new. Thank
you very much for sharing your knowledge. Yours was the only suggestion that
made sense among those I found on line. I am surprised that Grohe does not make
that suggestion easily available on their site. I wish you a Happy, Healthy and
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.