Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) Sump Pump Not Switching Off

My Zoeller M-53 (1/3 HP) sump pump does not switch off. I.e., the sump pump kicks on fine when the float gets to the level that causes the pump to kick on. It begins to pump water out like normal but then when it gets to a certain point, it stops pumping water out. The pump keeps running but the water level doesn't recede any further. I have to push the float down a little bit in order for it to stop running.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? Is the switch going bad?

Thanks, Kevin

Reply to
Kevin G.

It sounds like the float is stuck. If the float moves freely up and down, completely and it doesn't shut off, you probably need a new switch

Reply to
RBM

Thanks for your reply.

Are switches easy to replace? If so, would you be able to tell me step-by-step how to do it (or refer me to a website that might have information)?

Thanks in advance, Kevin

RBM (remove this) wrote:

Reply to
Kevin G.

Here is a link to the parts breakdown for your pump:

RBM

before replacing the switch, check that the float travel may just need to be adjusted

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks for your advice. I will investigate what has been suggested.

Reply to
Kevin G.

Reply to
bamboo

I have two of the M53's. One in reserve and one running. The motors seems to last forever, but the switiches seem to go in 5-10 years, (probably depends on how often the pump runs as well). At any rate, my guess is its the switch. Every time I have hoped it was just the float getting stuck, I usually ended up with a flood for not heeding the warning sign.

Find a dealer who handles Zoeller pumps and parts. Price is around $25 for a new switch, but that was a few years ago. The switch is is pretty straightforward to replace. However, if you can afford to be without the pump for several hours, I would first disassemble and also take a look at the swith arm gasket to make sure its not leaking and also needs to be replaced. Get a new housing gasket right away as well.

Reply to
Gary Dyrkacz

You could try to add a little weight to the float end of the arm. This could be enough to make it shut off.

---MIKE---

Reply to
---MIKE---

Alright, I'm back. I had my Zoeller pump replaced because it was still under warranty. I installed the new sump pump and let it kick on. It pumped out the water fine and kicked off, which was great. However, I noticed a few drips of water coming from the pipe connection. So, I had to screw in the "grip tighteners" (don't know what they're called) tighter.

When it kicked on again, this time it failed to kick off. I realized a bunch of water being pushed out of the pump (from the bottom of the pump) back into the sump while the pump was running. Is this normal? What could be the cause of this? The pipe is screwed in very tightly into the pump, but maybe not tight enough?

At what level should the pump be placed in the sump? Would that have any effect on whether or not the pump shuts off?

I'm starting to wonder if I really might not have had a bad pump after all, but maybe an error in installation?

Thanks for any and all suggestions/answers.

Kevin

---MIKE--- wrote:

Reply to
Kevin G.