Kitchen faucet leak at base, replace or repair?

Apologies in advance if I omit any important information from this post. I am a home repair and plumbing novice.

I have a five-year old Delta two-handle kitchen faucet that has developed a leak at the base of the main faucet. It leaks only when the water is turned on.

Seems a good place to start would be to replace the spout o-rings, but I dont know if that would fix the problem because the faucet seems to wobble on the stem when I move it back and forth. I was under the impression that there wasn't supposed to be any give in the faucet on the vertical axis.

Has the faucet been damaged/warped in some way? Should I try replacing the spout o-ring? Or something else completely?

Thanks for the help!

Reply to
LSU Tiger

I had one that I thought I had fixed by replacing an O-ring. But, it later started leaking again and the water ended up damaging the countertop. I replaced the whole unit and that fixed it.

Reply to
RTLP

This is Turtle.

Hey Tiger fan i'm from Louisiana too at Oakdale.

Hey Delta has a repair kit to replace all the guts of the set for about $10.00 but You can buy the whole set new for about $35.00 but some models run about $22.00 .

I never could see going $10. to repair when $30 will replace the whole thing.

Are you ready for the big up coming game?

TURTLE

Reply to
TURTLE

I have a somewhat piece of shit Price-Pfister single-handle kitchen faucet that gives me the same problem every now and then. Check to see if the bottom of the entire faucet assembly -- just above where the whole thing meets the sink -- is, for the lack of a better term, a separate ring of metal, like a fairly large collar. If it is, turn it clockwise until it's tight and then turn the water on, and see if the leaking stops.

This is how I've been solving our problem until we rehab the kitchen later next year.

AJS

Reply to
AJScott

replying to LSU Tiger, Jt fix wrote: I have a Glacier Bay kitchen faucet that leaks underneath when I turn the faucet off does not leak when the water is running what could that problem be.

Reply to
Jt fix

Most likely it's a bad cartridge, they cost about $15. Replacement is by removing handle and unscrewing stem to get it out. There are probably videos if you google.

Reply to
trader_4