Help with Kitchen Sink Soap Dispenser

We have a soap dispenser installed on our kitchen sink. This is one with a plastic bottle under the sink and a pump handle with a dispenser on the top.

When you push the pump handle, soap is dispensed through the handle.

This had been working fine for quite some time. Then it became difficult to dispense and I diluted the soap somewhat. It again worked okay for a while.

Now it will not pump any thing at all. My wife is frustrated. She spent several minutes pumping and nothing comes out.

She wants me to replace the pump with a new one.

This is an option, but is there anything I could try before I go through the effort and expense of a new dispenser?

Thanks, Joe

Reply to
Joe

I've had that happen too, espcially as I get older. Worth the wait though!

There is not much to those pumps. If it is worn I doubt you'll find replacement parts. Probably easiest to buy a new one.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi Joe, those things get gummed up sometimes and just need the coating of semi-dried soap loosened. Pull the stem up out of the bottle and hold it in some hot water (just use the hot water tap). Try to work some of the hot water up into the dispenser. Whether or not you can accomplish this, lay the entire thing down in a pan of hot water and allow it to soak for 15 minutes and then, try again. When you get it pumping you can just place it back into the bottle and use as normal. Perhaps you should try a different brand of soap. We just use Dawn and haven't had any trouble. The dispenser at work is another story.

Reply to
C & M

I tried a free-standing pump bottle to keep dish deterg. handy and not have the store bottle sitting out. Pumps don't stand up, for some reason. I have a lotion bottle from bed/bath store, and bought a straight spout cork thingy intended for wine bottles. I have to dilute the deterg., but at least have a pretty bottle sitting next to my sink full of dirty dishes :o)

Reply to
Norminn

Try the hot water trick first.

The good news is that most of those pumps are interchangeable meaning you don't have to change out the entire unit body. You just buy a new pumper at a real plumbing supply place. I doubt the borgs stock them.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

....somebody stop me....

Reply to
Robatoy

Thank you so much. Soaking the old soap out did the trick.

There is a wealth of knowledge >

Reply to
Joe