Shower pump problem; fuse blowing

3 bar twin impeller positive head pump gets stuck after no use for a month or so causing the 5 amp fuse to blow. Removing the impeller cover from one end and turning the impeller (with fingers, so only lightly stuck) 'unsticks' the pump and all is well with no blown fuses if used regularly. Leave it for a month or so and the same thing happens. Pump is 4-5 years old, has separate hot (surrey flange) and cold supplies. Any ideas as to the problem? Thank you.
Reply to
nafuk

Not using it enough. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie

In principle, clean out the bearings, pack with grease, and grease the water to shaft seal on the pumps. I dont know if theyre accessible or not though.

NT

Reply to
NT

The mechanical seal faces are probably worn by now and may not be a service replacement available. Silicone grease may extend its life for a while but at the end of the day what does a direct replacement pump cost?

Reply to
cynic

A good one (i.e 3 bar) will cost a significant proportion of what a pressurised HW tank will cost. I reckon you're better off biting the bullet and putting a "proper" tank in. ;-)

Tim

Reply to
Tim Downie