[SOLVED] Delta single handle faucet either hot or cold no warm (2023 Update)

I have a single handle Delta faucet in my kitchen that dispenses water either all hot or all cold- no warm. I have replaced the springs and washers and the ball that attaches to the handle. Have I done something wrong in installation?

Reply to
brentfidler

Assuming it didn't do that before you changed the springs and "washers" (seals) I'd suggest that you make sure that the ball shaft is properly oriented with respect to the faucet and handle.

There's a flat on the ball shaft which the setscrew in the handle should tighten against. When the ball is properly oriented that flat should be facing you as you face the faucet.

Check that out first.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I have checked the ball and it is seated correctly. When I put everything back together it worked correctly for about 5 minutes. Now it is back to only hot or cold.

How "springy" are the springs supposed to be? These are pretty stiff and do not put the washers out any more than 1/8" above the surface of the holes.

The rubber washers that go over the top of the springs and ride against the ball have two sides. One side is flanged out and the other side is smooth and rounded. Which side is supposed to be agains the ball? The directions in the repair package I bought do not specify.

Thanks.

Brent

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Reply to
brentfidler

is the pin in the body engaging the slot in the ball? I had something like this so long ago, pin fell out somehow..

vague memory of 20+ years ago

Reply to
hallerb

The smaller diameter ends of the springs fit inside the "hollow" ends of the seals. The essentially flat ends of the seals contact the ball.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Reply to
brentfidler

Is this a plastic ball with a metal insert. Is the metal insert still there? Why that would give this symptom I have no idea, but I always wondered what would happen if the insert come out (seems it would give the opposite problem from yours if anything.)

Does the handle move smoothly all over, every position? Sometimes mine didn't but it would settle down after I moved it all over.

Unrelated story of my faucet: After quite a few good years, i had endless problems with my Delta -- it wouldn't stop dripping -- bought new kit, bought bigger kit, put in metal ball, called the company, they sent me a big kit, used that Would have replaced it but I like the looks of Delta but was unwilling to buy a second one. Eventualy hot dripped so fast, I had to turn off the hot water.

Finally, walking from HD to Walmart along the driveway grass, found an old Delta at the edge of the grass and some brush. Took it home and saw the sprayer and hose were missing. Mine didn't have one. Priced it on the web, 25 dollars or something. Went back the next day, found the sprayer and hose near where I found the faucet. Harder to see because it's not chrome. Installed the whole thing, works fine. What a system.

Reply to
mm

deltas have served us very well, excpt their shower wand, it was a piece of mexican trash

Reply to
hallerb

I think trash is a bit strong, but you're saying you had a Mexican who would move the wand over your body? What gender and how old?

Reply to
mm

I have been using this faucet for 5 yrs (it was here when I moved in) and have had this same complaint the entire time. It has not gotten neither worse over time, but it has always been almost impossible to get warm water. Even the slightest movement of the handle can change it from scorching to less-than-warm. Considering how cheap this model is, everything else about it works great--no dripping, good pressure, and relatively little evidence of wear on the chrome plating--but the temperature issue has led to regular expulsions of profanity, and I'm finally going to replace this unit. Unless you figured out how to fix the issue permanently and can pass it on to me.

Reply to
brianlongfellow

Delta has a lifetime warranty. Email them with a picture and any other info you have like where you bought it and when (make something up). My guess is they send you a new cartridge.

Reply to
gfretwell

If this is the same one I've got, you remove the big round "nut" just below the handle and underneath are two black rubber "seals", almost the only part that can wear out. One is for hot and one is for cold. They sell new ones at the store.

Don't use pliers directly on the "nut" or you'll damage the chrome and even if you pug a washcloth in between you can damage it just as bad. I don't remember what I do to avoid that.

They also sell replacement balls, but I never figured out what can wear out about them. I also never figured out why the holes in the ball are so funny and why they are not symmmetric. I guess some things are beyond humand understanding.

Reply to
micky

I just called with same problem, though not from new install like from the sound of OP, having the Saville 19949-SSSD-DST and with just a few basic questions back from them they sent me a new cartridge. I called on a Tues at 3pm est and was the 1st caller w/no wait time reaching a sweet knowledgeable CSR with a clear American accent. Amazing for only spending like 200 somn bucks many years back. I hope they survive.

Reply to
Jgonz123

Well guess what, I found a fix to the problem in my house and it was not the faucet (despite having a free replacement cartridge shipping to me from Delta). After scouring the web, this is the only page where anyone mentions this problem. I talked to 4 plumbing supply houses to guys with "30+" years in the biz and a young guy who took the time to really listen to the problem came up with a suggestion.

*Have you tried lowering the temp of your water heater?* Sure enough my problem started when I upgraded my hot water heater (40gal Natgas) 3 years ago and I hadn't put two-and-two together. The new heater thermostat was already on the 2nd lowest setting of A, not even the hottest of D. I thought I had put the thermostat at D like I set my old heater, but obviously this one is much more efficient.

When lowering to just Hot, it made the Warm range on the faucet just a little bit "wider" than a mere sliver. It's noticeable when you've been struggling to find the hole-in-one shot of warm trying to avoid scalding yourself. If you think about why this works, it makes the upper end of the warm range so much hotter that we don't distinguish it from hot.

Hopefully it will work for you.

Reply to
Jgonz123

brainlongfellow, OK the site quotations, indentations, etc. do not work the way I thought they would. I hit reply to gfretwell above (or below, hmm) and it didn't put my response UNDER his response so my post about "calling with the same problem" doesn't make much sense. I'm posting this again hoping maybe it will notify you of my response on the post in case it helps.

BTW the Saville faucet doesn't have the two black rubber seals (directly under the handle) Micky talks about below, he must have a different faucet than I. But the 19949-ssd-dst has a yellow funky shaped seal under the cartridge (that comes with a replacement cartridge). There IS a black ring seal under the escutcheon if you happen to use the escutheon (single hole vs. the three hole install) as part of kit RP63197 per the diagram in the specs.

Reply to
Jgonz123