Our through the Wall Sleeve Air Conditioner..

Our through the wall sleeve air conditioner no longer functions. It is about 35 years old & time for a replacement. This is a condo, we have one in the front room & one in the back, in our computer room. The current unit is 8500 BTUs in a 170 sqft room plugged into a 220 outlet.

We have located several choices that appear to fit. In particular, two units, a 8,000 & a 13,200 BTU that we can purchase & bring home today. The 8000 BTU is a 110 & would be on the same circuit as the computers. The 13200 unit is 220 & would be on it's own circuit.

Problem ONE: How the hell do I get the old one out?!? It seems to be in there solid, VERY solid. Any suggestions are welcome & I understand that answering this one without seeing it is difficult.

Problem TWO: the 13200 BTU unit is overkill I am sure. However, keeping it on it's own circuit is necessary. Is there such a thing as an adapter to go from the 220 to the 110?

TIA!

Reply to
Bruin

UPDATE!

Problem ONE is solved. With the right persuader, one can move mountains. All I need is a dolly to cart it out of here (& bring the new one in when I purchase it).

Reply to
Bruin

There is not an adapter that will take you from 220 and deliver

110. The very fact that you asked suggests that the cure is beyond your present capabilities. You would be much safer to hire an electrician.

Your 220 circuit might have 2 110 legs with a ground. It may or may not have a neutral depending on age and code requirements when installed.

Your new 110 circuit needs 1 110 leg, a ground, and a neutral. These changes can be made in the breaker panel with the wires that you have, but only by someone who knows what it is they are doing.

Reply to
DanG

No, but a contractor could make short work out of converting the outlet to a pair of 110's. Any chance the 13200 is also available in 220?

HTH Pop

Reply to
Pop

Yes, it's true, I other than a bit of irrigation work, I have never done anything electrical. The fact that I asked about a converter/adapter is because the salesguy at an appliance dealer told me they existed. The guy at Radio Shack tried to sell me a $48 & a $18 set of converters he claimed would do the job. I pointed out there was no ground & he tells me "...it's not needed." HAHAHA

Right now I got new 8000 BTU running & it is running well. With all three computers. Computers are all on UPSs & seem to be ok. I hope to get someone to convert the existing 220 to 110 as another suggested.

Thanks for your response!

Reply to
Bruin

Excellent suggestion! Convert the 220 into 2 110s.

As I stated in another reply, I got the 8000 BTU unit installed & running. Room when from 89 to 77F & is still dropping.

Thanks for your reply!

Reply to
Bruin

He's selling kits that will allow you to plug your electric razor into

220 European outlets, IF your razor has a switch to change it to 220. So he was close. :) And your razor doesn't need a ground. :)

Or buy a 220 Volt AC. There are none that are smaller? 220 V appliances are more efficient than 110. OTOH, too big a unit is not good. I forget how to explain that.

Reply to
mm

No, the 13200 BTU was the smallest I could find locally. An item this large is usually pricey to have it shipped plus we needed it ASAP. I bought the 8000 BTU unit & it is working & the computer room is darn right chilly now.

Thanks for your response!

Reply to
Bruin

You did the right thing. Going that large, the unit would not run long enough for proper dehumidification. You end up with a cold clammy room.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

mm posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

How so?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Fwiw, I didn't say that.

But I did say this.

That's what I've heard for 40 years. Maybe an engineer can explain it.

Reply to
mm

Minor differences. Motors will start faster, pull less amps (but the same watts that we pay for ) so they can use smaller wires. Operating cost is the same.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hmmm. This post is very destructive to my mental state! It's somethign like being told my wife of 40 years has always been cheating on me.

Reply to
mm

mm posted for all of us... I don't top post - see either inline or at bottom.

Only the last 7 years, she had a lesbian relationship before that.

Reply to
Tekkie®

I've learned that overkill is *good*!

That is, if you want to save money on the AC power-usage.

You can run it for maybe 15min each hour or two, and it gets cold enough, and gets rid of the humidity.

(Of course, only if you don't mind being the controller for it.)

Works for me.

David

Reply to
David Combs

Oh, I must add that I place a LARGE fan in front of the AC, and it blasts the air into a circuit around the room.

So most (maybe all?) of the humid air gets run through the AC.

D.

Reply to
David Combs