Mounting a "Window" Air Conditioner in a wall

I want to install a window air conditioner in the bedroom. But the windows are not suited for this because of them design, and I also do not want to lose the window.

I have seen these mounted in a wall, and am considering that option. However, I know they are a means to allow water to get into the walls, and I want to avoid that. I do have access to some used awnings, so I am considering putting an awning over the AC.

Then comes the part about cold air leakage in cold weather. I know that no AC is really air tight. So the question arises, what to do when the cold weather comes to seal the AC. Yea, I have seen plastic covers made to be put over them on the outside, but that dont seem adaquate.

I ma posting this to see if others have mounted an AC in this manner and what was done in cold weather to seal it and insulate it to prevent cold air leakage?

One other thought is to install the entire AC outdoors, and somehow pipe the cool air into the house via ductwork and a floor register. This seems possible, but then the controls on the front of the AC would not be accessible, except to go outside and manually control it via a door on the ductwork. (Or shut it on and off by flipping a circuit breaker).

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Jerome Tews

A few thoughts.

Consider a portable AC that works with a duct like a dryer vent and can be easily take out of the window when not needed.

Consider a mini-split but they are not cheap

The ability to seal it depends on the wall construction.

There was a thread here a few days ago about mounting a sleeve in the wall. I don't recall the brand but it is a good idea.

I have an AC in the dining room window. In winter I take the front off and put a plastic sheet over it, then put the front back on. Works rather well. No one has ever complained about draft sitting in front of it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

They are not cheap, but if you look (try brand name Pioneer) you'll find some that are much cheaper than Mitsubishi, et al. We switched two years ago and wish we'd done it sooner. MUCH sooner. Our unit is an inverter type (heats/cools) 115v/12A and is more than adequate for our

480 sq ft family room. You can barely hear it in operation. Quiet as a mouse.

When you cut the opening (sleeve mount or window mount converted to thru wall) deal with it like any other wall penetration and you'll be fine.

We previously used window AC unit thru-wall by removed the window mounting hardware and using the case measurements (plus an eighth inch all around) as the rough opening. NEVER had a problem with water leakage.

When we did that, I fabricated a "winter cover" that we used INSIDE the room only. Took foam insulation, cut and glued to size, added some foam tape to the mating edge and, to dress it up, covered it with ¼" oak veneer ply stained to match the existing casing. Worked like a charm.

Sealing it as Ed suggests will all but eliminate drafts, but the insulation will help cut the heat loss. If you're really worried about, fashion another cover to fit over the outside.

Note: Ensure that you install the retrofitted window AC unit at the proper angle so that the condensate, etc. will run out properly. Second, scrap that plan altogether and consider the mini-split system for the efficiency and quiet. Seriously Both my units had similar BTU ratings. Sound-wise, the noise level is the difference between a Tesla coming off the line and a Dodge Ram with a diesel.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Could someone please explain what a Mini-Split is. I've never heard that term. Please do not tell me to use google. I do not have web access. I can only access the newsgroups and do email.

Reply to
Jerome Tews

Air conditioners need four basic things. A compressor, condenser coil, evaporator coil, fan to move the air.

In a typical window unit all of those things are packed in one box. Hot air blows out the back, cooled air blows out the front, noise blows out all over.

Whole house AC has the big compressor and condenser coil mounted outside and copper tubing comes inside to the evaporator usually a part of the heating system. Since it is away from the living space, very quiet operation. Moni=split is a hybrid. It mounds some components outside the room to be cooled and an evaporator coil and fan are mounted inside the room. Only a small hole in the wall in needed to run the tubing.

They typically run about $600 and up depending on size. They have many benefits over a window shaker though.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Thanks. That does sound like something that would work well for my needs. But since I already have this window AC (which is nearly new), and I paid $5 for it, I will try to make do with what I have.

Reply to
Jerome Tews