Portable evaporative cooler

A friend is finding his whole-house A/C is getting too expensive to pay for power.
I mentioned a portable evaporative cooler - most run $100 - $200, less than a month's A/C power. Anyone use one of these? Are they reasonably effective? Problems keeping their water tank full?
He lives in SW AZ where evaporative coolers usually work well.
TIA

In alt.home.repair, on 26 Jun 2018 17:57:54 GMT, KenK

Why should his work less well?

I don't understamd your question. I only stated his location to show that an evaporative cooler is a sensible choice in his case.

In alt.home.repair, on 27 Jun 2018 16:39:57 GMT, KenK

You asked if they were reasonably effective, and then you said that in SW AZ where he lives, they usually work well. Didn't you answer your own question?
Is "portable" the difference?

Yes

Thanks. Passed along the link and a copy of the web site to him.