Bathroom ceiling toward the walls than in the middle

We recently re-tiled the shower surround in our guest bathroom. The bathroom is a smaller bathroom, 5' deep and 8 feet long. Anyway while working on the tile, I noticed that the ceiling seemed to be lower at each end of the bathroom than it is in the middle. So I broke out my level and sure enough there is almost an

1 1/2 inch to 2 inch difference between the edges of the room to the center. It's almost like a dome shape, or upside down U. Almost like it's crowning. There are no cracks in the drywall. What would cause this to happen? What can be done to fix it. I'd prefer not to rip out the drywall since there is blown insulation in the attic. Would the easiest solution be to add furring strips to the high spots to bring it level with the lower ends and add another sheet of drywall to make the surface level?
Reply to
sphillips72

I think that's the key here. Since you have an attic, go do some exploring as to how the ceiling joists run and what's going on there. That's a big difference and something should be obvious from up there.

Would the easiest solution be to

Reply to
trader_4

If you just now noticed it, why not leave well enough alone???

Reply to
hrhofmann

Leave it alone. It's better for singing. All the opera singers and the best popular singers have vaulted showers.

Then don't do that.

No. The easiest solution would be to do nothing.

How long have you had the house? How long did it take you to notice this?

Reply to
micky

Sorta discovered this thing in my first house which was new. I put a chair rail and ceiling rail in the dining room. I measured the ceiling rail first on one side and cut two sections for opposing walls. The first fit but the second came up an inch short. Someone told me that was common to find in all houses. Rooms may not quite be rectangular.

Reply to
Frank

sphillips72 posted for all of us...

Since you can get in the attic check there first. If no leaks or other misfortunes it was probably not installed correctly. Do you have a ceiling fan or light there? It may have pulled the drywall up... I would leave it alone. If there are no problems you will eventually forget about it.

Reply to
Tekkie®