Stuck Delta Faucet Handle

The single lever Delta kitchen faucet [model 21460 - made in Denmark] has an occassional dribble from the top. Minor, but I wanted to remove the handle to tighten or replace the fittings. The set screw will not move with an allen wrench and all the force I can exert with pliers as leverage. Even a rachet with an allen fitting fails. Short of drilling the screw out and buying a new handle, any ideas? Thank you.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser wrote:

Heat with torch. Wear safety glasses!!
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:58:25 -1000, "John Keiser"

You don't have to remove the handle to work on the faucet, if you can reomve the big ring nut right under the handle. Which is the next step after removing the handle anyhow.
A rubber self-tightening strap wrench would be good for removing the big round nut. Wouldn't scratch, and they've been selling those things even at dollar stores in the last 3 or 4 years. Otherwise water pump pliers and something inside the jaws to protect the chrome.
And yes, sometimes the "seat" will stick on something and cause the handle to not move. The problem then is either the seat (replace both seats and springs) or the ball. If the ball needs replacing, then and only then you have to remove the handle, but at least you won't be bending over the sink. Try liquid wrench I suppose. They suggest tapping or hitting the item so that it vibrates and the liquid wrench works its way inside. Heating is good if it doesn't hurt the chrome - about that I don't know.
This model conceals the big ring nut under a chrome cover which needs to be removed after the handle. :(
I might try the torch when I am prepared to sacrifice the handle as I also wonder about the chrome finish surviving the heat.
Thanks for the comments.
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John,
I just had this problem with a delta faucet. Drill out the set screw.
Dave M.
replying to mm, SRJ wrote:

Read your post just in time...I was trying to replace the springs and seats by removing the set screw which was stuck. Instead I just loosened the ring under the handle which, thankfully, I was able to turn by hand. After that, no problems!
replying to mm, DB wrote: Thanks for the post! Out set screw was stuck, was about to use a torch but was not sure if that was going to ruin the handle, was also thinking about drilling out the screw but then would have to find a compatible handle.
Read this post - then used a dish towel and wrench and easily losened the big round nut, then the handle and ball came right off! After replacing the gaskets and springs we tighened the nut down by hand and then used the dish towel and wrench to tighten it down slowly until it was all the way down (flush). No more drip drip drip! Thanks!
On 1/4/2017 12:14 PM, DB wrote:

Just yesterday I had almost the same problem, a frozen screw that holds the handle onto the cartridge on a two handled Delta kitchen faucet. The screw had a one piece Phillips head and washer. I don't know if the problem was between the under surface of the washer and the inset in the handle or between the threads of the screw and the threaded hole in the top of the cartridge but the screw would not move. After an unsuccessful soak with WD40, and brute strength with long nose pliers across the edges of the washer, I put a 1/4" drill bit on my electric drill and ground away the screw head to where the crossed slots were just barely visible. I changed to a 3/8" drill bit and carefully started drilling deeper to grind away some of the thickness of the central 2/3 of the washer. Using a normal width (3/16") screwdriver, I carefully tried to pry up the periphery of the washer all around the circumference of the washer. I again put the long nose pliers across the washer and voila, it turned easily. Don't know if the vibration of the drilling did it, the WD40 finally penetrated and loosened whatever was stuck, or if I really got better purchase on the edge of the washer with the pliers. In any case, problem solved. I easily found a replacement set screw in my jar of spare machine screws. Replacing the spring and rubber valve seat ($2.49 at HD) and cleaning a small deposit of crud off the polished metal bottom of the cartridge cured the drip.
On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 9:47:29 AM UTC-5, Retirednoguilt wrote:

It always amazes me how often people immediately jump to WD-40.
Why would you think that a stuck screw in a faucet would be freed up with WD-40?
If it was rusted in place, I'd try a penetrating catalyst such as PB-Blaster. If it was stuck due to mineral deposits, I'd use vinegar.
It does not surprise me at all that the WD-40 "soak" was unsuccessful. I'll put my money on the "vibration" from all your other efforts eventually breaking the bond. The WD-40 may have "lubed" things up once the bond was broken, but I doubt it was main reason that you got the screw out.

an
handle
Before you do anything destructive give Delta a call. They are very helpful and in many cases not only will they give instructions but will supply the replacement parts at no cost. MLD
On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 16:58:25 -1000, "John Keiser"

Byetw, when you can't loosen a screw, try tightening it. Sometimes that frees it up.
This would also be a good time to have a left-handed drill bit, for driling the thing out, going counter clockwise. A good chance it would start to unscrew at a certain point, with enough thread in the hole to just use a new set scgrwe.
Harbor Freight now has a set of 4 LH drill bits, at a Chinese price.
And Vermont American has 2 or 3 sizes. The small one(s) is/are cheap.

No Harbor Freight near me [in Hawaii] and shipping is usually an insult. The LH drills are on my list of fun stuff to buy next time I'm in Manila. :)
--
Remove -NOSPAM- to contact me.

John Keiser wrote:

You can sharpen a RH drill bit so that it will cut when turning CCW.
You'll have to pull it out of the hole frequently to clear the chips, but it's worth a try for your one time application, providing that allen head screw isn't too hard.
And when done, you can jusr resharpen it back to being a RH drill <G>.
Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat \'57 EE)
On Thursday, August 31, 2006 11:50:38 PM UTC-4, John Keiser wrote:

I worked at a brand new harbor freight, the set up crew believes they will be getting a new store in hawaii soon:)
I quit because my bad knee was too painful. Nice co workers, nice management, nice customers....
rmeigs had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Stuck-Delta-Faucet-Handle-142042-.htm :
John Keiser wrote:

------------------------------------- Here's what worked for me today: Buy a can of compressed "air" for dusting photos, lenses, etc. Insert the Allen wrench into the setscrew and heat the wrench with a torch (thus sparing the faucet handle). Wait for the heat to migrate into the screw and handle, remove the wrench, then invert the can of "air" (which will produce super-cold liquid) and spray through the nozzle tube into the setscrew. This breaks the bond between setscrew and handle, allowing the screw to be removed. No drilling, no new parts, no handle damage!

I am going to try this procedure on some other allens that get stuck for my job.
Once its out dont forget to replace allen preferably with a stainless one but lube the hole well before installing new allen
replying to snipped-for-privacy@aol.com, Catherine wrote:

Re: Delta Monitor Faucet handle
OMG ... same problem. I could not get that screw out of the Delta Monitor faucet handle. After MANY hours of sticking a q-tip soaked in CLR in the hole (keeping it wet) and tighten/loosen back and forth then soak some more. repeat. repeat. repeat. I finally got the screw loose and the handle off!!!!
On Thursday, December 3, 2015 at 10:44:08 PM UTC-6, Catherine wrote:

Nine (9) year old thread.
On Thu, 3 Dec 2015 21:54:31 -0800 (PST), ItsJoanNotJoann

But at least Bob is still here. It may give him great satisfaction to see name mentioned. (his? wisdom revived)
On Friday, December 4, 2015 at 3:14:29 AM UTC-5, Micky wrote:

Yeah its kinda nice when old threads reappear. it reminds me of some of what was going on back then.
my dogs puddle and susie were still alive and healthy, my marriage was still together, stuff like that