Delta shower faucet repair

Have a leaking "old style" Delta shower valve. Tried to get the nut that holds the ball down off. It's not wanting to let go. Any hints on how to go about this without ruining the valve?

The last time I tried this was on a single lever sink. It beat me, had to swap out the whole assembly. This one would be a lot harder to replace:)

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Heat! Lots of it. A propane torch with a small flame will do it.

You will be replacing all the rubber seals and, maybe, the ball so there is nothing in the valve body which can get damaged.

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

Jim,

There is a plastic ring in the part that unscrews. Heat is going to make a mess.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Yes, that's a seal for the ball. I believe it's a repair part. Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

I'm going to try a hammer and chisel. Just going to gently tap around the edge and see if it lets go.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

There's a tool for that which looks a bit like a small spanner wrench. It comes with the repair kit usually. That one gets a good bite on the slots. A shot or two of PB Blaster with a little time to let it soak might coax it along a bit.

Reply to
NickySantoro

Was trying to get the bonnet nut off, the cam was loose. Here is what I tried. Used a heavy hammer to buck and a small hammer to tap all around the edge. No luck. Then I used a large channel lock to squeeze all around it. No luck. Got the small chisel and started tapping at a hard angle around the edge. Came right off. It's all back together and seems to be fine. Whew!

Al

Reply to
Big Al