Winter Pool Closing Question

My question is what defines a deep freeze?

A Deep Freeze is just a long period of 32 degrees or below. This will freeze water that is not moving. By leaving your filter own you are preventing a freeze. The good thing is you have a concrete pool so no damage of the pool is to be a concern. The concern is the filter system.

Now what we do with our stores' inground pool is we just drain it below the skimmer and blow out all the pipes. We dont use a cover because that can be a pain. You can do that but you do have to brush it. So i say keep it open until you are finished brushing and then hire a pool company to drain and blow out the pipes and put a temp. cover on (optional) but that would be the safest bet. Note: Always keep your filter running through out the night when it gets cold so that nothing freezes. But during the day if its nice and the sun its ok to turn your filter off if you are worried about your electric bill.

I hope this helps you in any way. If you have other questions feel free to ask. snipped-for-privacy@niagarapool.com

Boom Stick wrote:

Reply to
Your Local Pool Guy

We just had our inground pool completed about 4 weeks ago. The pool is open so that we can brush the plaster as it cures. The PCC 2000 filter system runs 24x7. We have another 2 weeks (minimum) of brushing recommended by our pool company. We live in Northern Virginia where the temperature has been 50 - 60 during the day (now in Dec) and 30's at night. The folks at our pool servicing company said we may want to leave the pool open through the winter instead of closing it up and reopening in 3/4 months. They said as long as there is no deep freeze and the filter stays on continously we shouldn't have a problem. My question is what defines a deep freeze? And is this really safe on something I just spent a lot of money on?

Thanks - Bumstick

Reply to
Boom Stick

What in the world prompted you to finish a pool at the beginning of winter?

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

they told me it would take until spring to finish. in retrospect - I think the salesman just wanted to make a sale.

Reply to
Boom Stick

When I bought our last house with pool, the previous owner kept the pumps running

24/7. I did too for the first 3-4 years until we had weather down in the teens, which was still fine until the power went out. Now I had to deal with broken pipes and a cracked heater mainfold. After that I always close the pool for winter. It's time well spent to not have to worry about it, not to mention the waste of electricty.
Reply to
TH